1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grab bag for my RX1R

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by skinnymike, Apr 2, 2014.

1. skinnymike

skinnymike SC Rookie

Apr 2, 2014
    I'm really excited about my new RX1R (upgrade from a classic Canon 40D) and look forward to sharing on this forum. First order of business was to choose the right protection gear. I wanted a quick grab bag that could hold the minimal essentials, while also providing protection from bumps and drops. I plan to shoot outdoors and be out-and-about mostly. The Lowepro lens bag is a perfect fit with the grip and hood attached. Really well padded, compact and light. Total weight when loaded is 1.95 lbs. Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zp7bzd2knd2jqap/qIreUF5xFz

Fotodiox camera grip http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-DSC-RX1-Cyber-Shot-Digital-Battery/dp/B00DGC7LBK/
    Lowepro lens case 11x11cm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KJE8GE/
    Generic lens caps (4-pack) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZIFWSY/
    Generic hood http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WQRPIM/

• Like Like x 2
  2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Congrats on the RX1R and thanks for sharing your bag solution!

I am using a Crumpler Pleasure Dome when I throw the camera in my laptop bag. Otherwise, it is in my small Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger, along with another camera (currently A7/55) and a few accessories.

3. skinnymike

skinnymike SC Rookie

Apr 2, 2014
    Thanks Krugorg for the reply. Here's one of my first photos out the camera. Really cool Plymouth that I found parked outside my gym.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnymike/13576424375" title="Old school Plymouth by skinny mike, on Flickr"> 13576424375_bf1450bc3f_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Old school Plymouth"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  4. oliveview

oliveview SC Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    What do you think of the Fotodiox grip? I'm very much considering that exact one. Is it well made? Does it fit in perfectly, and remain tight? Any play, or does it feel like it's one with the camera?

5. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    i have the RRS grip and i think its a superb product that adds immensely to the pleasure i get from shooting my rx1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Fotodiox fits perfectly to the camera, highly recommended. It improves the ergonomics of the camera.

7. skinnymike

skinnymike SC Rookie

Apr 2, 2014
    The Fotodiox grip is what I was looking for to get more shots at low angles, since the screen does not tilt and I'm scared to drop the camera.

Overall build quality of the grip is solid, the only design flaw is a small hairline gap near the battery area.

8. dmullis

dmullis SC Rookie

Nov 9, 2012
    I would agree about the build and quality of this grip. The only shortcoming that I have found is that with the grip fitted on the camera, it is a bit difficult to remove the memory card from its slot because of the additional depth created by the grip.

9. lukethroughthelens

lukethroughthelens New to SC

Apr 11, 2014

edit the car at the rear and the A frame etc........and that great shot becomes a "killer" !

10. MiniJordan

MiniJordan New to SC

Apr 25, 2014
    Great buy.. Congrats.. [​IMG]

11. ajamils

ajamils SC Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Your drop box link is not working.

12. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    I just bought a Think Tank mirrorless 10 bag, seems just right for this cam
    era

13. TheHexagonal

TheHexagonal New to SC

May 30, 2014
    I can contribute only one thing to this thread...
    Billingham Hadleys.

I had/have 4 of them in different sizes from small to large pro (mind you, large pro is larger than large)

On a small, before the RX1 even existed, I could carry:
    NEX 7 + 24mm 1.8
    5n w/EVF + 50mm 1.8
    CV 15mm UW Heliar
    CV 35mm 1.2 II
    Cleaning kit (cloth, wet sheets, brush)
    5 extra batteries
    Pelican SD card case for 12 cards
    Phone
    Sunglasses
    Wallet
    iPod + earphones

From there, you can imagine you can fit 2 RX1s comfortably plus much more.
    I almost never used the Hadley Pro (read medium sized) that I had because it was too in-between.
    I use, almost daily, my Hadley Large. Whether its just for a day bag, or a job bag.

On a job, the Hadley Large fits:

Video gear:
    GH2 + 14-42
    irig pre amp
    Audio Technica shotgun mic
    Edirol recorder
    run-n-gun rig that works with all of the above together
    +
    2 RX1s
    Pelicase for 12 SD cards
    3 batteries
    RX100
    cleaning kit
    notebook
    pens
    wallet
    etc etc etc

I sold the small because I wasn't using it as much (although I sometimes miss it)

Again...daily...Hadley Large just because you may want to pick up stuff on the go or on the way back home from the supermarket.
    ...or carry your DT770 headphones...and an umbrella.

If you can get one second hand...do it...they last for years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf SC Top Veteran

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    +1 to the Billingham line of bags.

I carry my Leica kit in either the Hadley Pro or Hadley Small.

Attached Files:

15. klaptastic

klaptastic SC Regular

Jun 13, 2013
    I recently picked up a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack - its pretty much perfect for a RX1/r. I went with the Jumbo vs the regular size, because all it really does is add a water bottle holder, which works really well for a speedlight or something like that. The bag fits the RX1 + any accessories I can think of, plus there is enough space for the rest of your everyday items. I took it a big crowded EDM festival this weekend and it was just great. Really a perfect bag for smaller cameras like this IMO.