1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grand Budapest Hotel

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by theoldsmithy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I have never seen a film with so much effort put into the construction of scenes. I would say beautifully filmed, but really it's beautifully photographed. Go and see it and give your eyes a treat!
    It just made me smile with delight all the way through.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I agree. Absolutely a visual treat, with some excellent performances from Wes Anderson's "regulars". See it if you can.

If you enjoyed it, seek out "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" which is in similar vein.

3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Video showing how Wes Anderson frames his shots

[video=vimeo;89302848]http://vimeo.com/89302848[/video]

• Like Like x 2
  4. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    thanks martin. i thought exactly the same, but was too lazy to post! the film is shot half in pano and half in square and it was amazing. i can only compare it to citizen kane in terms of freshness of perspective, detailed thought to every frame. really amazing. i put it up there with welles and david lean in terms of pure photograhic beauty.

5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Haven't seen it yet, but hoping to very soon!

6. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Yes and yes and yes. A visual delight along with a wonderfully inventive story. Great stuff.

7. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    We talked about it last weekend but the weather was so nice. After your post, now we have to see it this weekend...

8. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    It will be time well-spent

9. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I'm glad it's not just myself and the Dear Lady Wife who appreciated the film, then. We shared the cinema with about 6 other people; a great shame.

10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I am a big Wes Anderson fan and see most of his films. I haven't seen Grand Budapest Hotel yet but I plan to.

11. Vidar

Vidar SC Veteran

Oct 25, 2010
    Bergen, Norway
    Vidar
    Me too! Really looking forward to seeing it!

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yeah, he's the real deal. I've seen all of the feature length movies from Rushmore forward, except for Mr. Fox - I just can't wrap my head around animated movies for the most part, even the really great ones. But Moonrise Kingdom was a real treat and this one looks wonderful in previews, but I guess that's the whole job of previews, so I won't pre-judge. But we'll definitely be seeing it soon...

-Ray

13. Vidar

Vidar SC Veteran

Oct 25, 2010
    Bergen, Norway
    Vidar
    Mr. Fox is awesome. Watch it Ray, you will love it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I really did enjoy it as well - stop motion is very different from typical animation and the actors who played the characters were excellent.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I can also recommend Mr. Fox (assuming I was not going to like it). Also, if you haven't seen "Bottle Rocket" (his first film), it's definitely worth seeing. I saw it years ago and was transfixed. It's much more "rough" and almost a bit low-budgety looking, but he already has a number of his trademarks in full swing. As the work of a young film-maker, it's quite impressive. It also features nearly the whole "Forever Changes" by Love which is one of my top 5 of all-time (and usually in my #1 or #2 slot.

16. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Saw it a couple of weeks ago. I'been a big fan of his since A life aquatic which I think is wonderful in the true sense of the word. The opening scenes of Moonrise Kingdom had me mesmerised.

17. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I finally saw Grand Budapest Hotel last night and was totally pleased. Talk about a well-crafted film. Every shot was a beautiful image on its own and a visual delight. In some ways, this may be Wes Anderson's most-ambitious film to date. Highly recommended.

18. BAXTING

BAXTING SC Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I loved it. The story was spectacular I thought. The only thing better than a great picture is a story to go with it and vice versa.

19. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Going to see it today. I wish bill murray was in it, but I am sure it will still be entertaining.

20. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Bill Murray is in it.

• Like Like x 1