GRD III Field Test

Discussion in 'Ricoh Forum' started by Duane Pandorf, May 16, 2011.

1. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf SC Top Veteran

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    This past weekend the Philmont Scout Crew I'm a part of did a little shakedown in the Shining Rock Wilderness area. Of course part of this shakedown was to see how well the GRD III handled. Here's a shot of myself and my son. Plus a link the trek we went on.

I'm still going through all the shots and will upload them to my Flickr account and link to them from this thread. Thanks for looking.

Philmont Crew 615-Q-01 Shakedown trek

• Like Like x 2
  2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    That's a great picture.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    That's a nice portrait. That camera is without a doubt a very serious winner.
    I love that thing...

4. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Here's a couple more shots as I began uploading my hiking shots to Flickr. In the second shot you can see the Ricoh GC-3 Case that I have held on to my left shoulder strap with two Velcro straps. That seemed to work great all weekend. I just had to be careful when taking the pack off.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Here's a link to the rest of the photos taken on this hiking trip with the Ricoh GRD III:

My Flickr Stream

6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Wow, what a trip! You did beautifully with your GRDIII, dorfinator! Those views from the mountain top camp are breathtaking!! You must be very pleased with your pictures and the shakedown trip.

I enjoyed looking at the full set and seeing the REI logo brought back fond memories of my college days...which were back in the late 70's.

When do you take off for your big trip?

7. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Thanks for the kind comments. We leave for our "big" trip June 13 and return the 27th. There will be two crews (25 total) leaving the Asheville area via transport to Charlotte to catch our Delta flight that leaves early the 14th. We get to Philmont on the 15th and begin our hiking on the 16th.

This is our hiking itinerary:

http://scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2011itinerary/Itinerary/2011_Itinerary_27.pdf

And here's the map:

http://scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2011itinerary/Map/2011map_27.pdf

The camera performed great and found the battery life was exceptional. I took more shots than I posted on Flickr and the battery indicator was still showing full.

I did plenty of chimping and used the flash several times too.

So I think I have enough batteries (3) and sd cards (2 8gigs and 1 4gig Eye-Fi card) for the trip. I will also have some AAAs for my torches I can use just in case.

My plan is to put together a coffee table book out of Aperture and offer that to all the parents at whatever cost is.

I'm still a bit sore from the weekend so I need to go back to work to recover. Been on vacation and have to earn my pay tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    That's a super report on the GRD III in action and the book is going to be a huge hit with the hikers and their families, that I have no doubt about at all, dorfinator - great idea!

Very exciting!

9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Very nice quality images there!!

I sold a GRD3 at work today and it was nice to sell something that i actually knew something about!! Nice camera.

10. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Very lovely pictures. If you are back in that area Graveyard fields is a beauty. Dupont statepark is too.

11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Lovely Set, you did well! Love that moon shot, it has elegant simplicity

12. Duane Pandorf

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    Hey Djarum, we're blessed to live 8 miles from Dupont and I'm looking forward to taking the GRD III to Triple Falls and High Falls.

13. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    dorfinator,

I was up that way back last fall. We ran down the hike from Triple falls to the parking lot because it started to pour. We never made it up to High falls. It really is a beautiful area.

14. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Wonderful set of pictures here. I love the Ricoh colours too!