Ricoh GRD III still good after all these years.

IMG_0159.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

@kyteflyer I can believe that without a second glance (your images are worth it, though, so I took another long one regardless ;)); I still love what the old Canon S95 delivers under the right conditions, and while the lens in the GRD III is even better, they share a very similar sensor. Those older CCDs deliver great colour and very nice transitions - images really pop. They can be a bit too punchy when all's said and done, but I don't mind. In fact, even though I own a GR (V - APS-C), I'd probably not hesitate if could lay my hands on the GRD III or GRD IV - both very nice cameras (the GRD IV had the more modern CMOS sensor - a very good performer for its size as well - and the same very nice lens ...).

M.

I kept the GRD3 precisely because it has CCD, TBH I didnt realise that the IV had gone CMOS. I've also kept my Olympus XZ1 for the same reason, and reacquired a Pentax K200D for its CCD. For some reason I just prefer CCD output. I confess to having chosen "Vivid" for the shots above, instead of the usual standard, which always looks a bit flat to me.

Back