Great post on TOP: What I Would Get If I Were Starting Now?

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by Pelao, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks so much for this - I'm almost afraid to read it! But I will, for sure.:wink:

2. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    It's OK BB, it is safe unless you click on the monitor link and start wondering....:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Re advice for shopping for cameras only once every five years: I'm working on that. I'm up to five months now....:redface:

• Like Like x 3
  4. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Martin, I did click on that monitor link and did start thinking about the 24inch Apple LED Cinema Display and how I could doc it to my MacBook Pro.:biggrin:

Chuck, I hear you... Never ever, ever thought I would go through so many cameras so fast since I came over to the digital side.

5. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    We are with you... you can do it. Maybe.

Just imagine if we operated on this or a similar basis - a camera every 3 to 5 years, say. The forum would have to fill up with talk of photography, technique, photographs, etc etc. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  6. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    Grabs coat and leaves...... :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I wish I was!! Or at least my 401k wishes that!

8. Pelao

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Getting back to the article... :rolleyes:

I feel it's one of the useful check-in points - a stop an think about the photography thing. I particularly appreciate the comments on printing. If you don't print some of your best stuff (best in your eyes), and I mean larger than 8 x 10, then I believe you are really missing something.

Choose 4 or 6 images you are proud of, which make you feel good. have them printed, say 11 x 14 or so. Hold them, look closely, enjoy - then stick them to a wall and stand back and look again. This will have you reaching for your camera.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pelao

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    The comments on the original thread at TOP are interesting.

One responder pointed out that camera technology can change so much in a few years, and wouldn't you be missing out?

Mike's reply is worthy of a read (as are the rest of the comments / conversation):

• Like Like x 2
  10. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    In forty-five years of film cameras, for personal use, I owned three cameras and bought lots of film. In ten years of digital I have owned five cameras and bought no film, just computers, software and printers. So tell me again about saving money by going to digital?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Ain't that the truth for me, as well, Grant!

12. Pelao

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    So true. I am much more settled now, but between my first DSLR (2003) and selling my last one, and including my M4/3 camera and lenses, I have spent a stack.

Perhaps this is partly why this post struck a note with me. I do like gear etc., but I like photography and photographs more. I deeply enjoyed my Canon 20D, and stuck with it the longest. It was a great camera: easy to use, fast, great results and reasonably compact. The thing is, I spent a lot of time actually using it, and printing the shots I liked.