Greetings from Spain!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by jimmy2thou, May 25, 2011.

1. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Hi Everyone,

I'm James. Originally from England, but currently living in Andalucia, Spain. I have been taking photos since I was about 9. Fast forward 26 years and I no longer take out of focus photos of carpets and pets, but prefer Landscapes which are in focus. :)

I am currently using a Sony NEX-5 with kit 18-55mm and 16mm. I also have Canon 50mm FD F1.4 and a Canon 28mm FD F2.8 lenses for the NEX.

My current and favourite P&S camera I have owned is the Ricoh GRD III

So, Hello again to all and I'll speak to you in the other forums. :)

James

• Like Like x 3
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome James. We are a friendly forum here and if you are game you can post a photo of yourself here.

3. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Thanks for the Welcome Bill. I have added a photo to the section you mentioned. It's all I could find of me until I dig out my other hard drive! :)

4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Welcome to the forum Jimmy! Not sure if you are a F-1 fan, but if you are, and if you cheer for either Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button, is it safe to do so in Spain? :) I'm actually a big Alonso fan, but I occasionally cheer for the McLaren boys now that they are somewhat underdogs (compared to Vettel anyway). Welcome aboard!

5. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Hello James. Welcome to SC.

6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    James, thanks so much for taking the time to say "officially" say hello. Glad to have you aboard - now I'm off to the Pub!:drinks:

7. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Hi James! Spain sounds like a good place to take colourful photos. Looking forward to seeing what you post.
    I'm NEX-5 as well, I've got the 16mm (which I haven't bonded with) a Vivitar massive zoom scary beast and my favourite, Canon FD 35-70 which is awesome. My other half has the 18-55mm which we sometimes squabble over.
    I'm just finding my feet here too, but it's good fun!
    Heather

8. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Welcome James. This is a terrific forum.

Oh yeah...I love Spain...family is from Oviedo.

10. andrewh973

andrewh973 SC Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    NYC metro are
  11. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Hi,

Sorry for my late reply! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@ Armanius - The Spanish are very passionate about all sports, but are very good sports indeed! I have had many a good night with Spanish friends whilst our countries compete in various events. :) I have even been introduced to a new sport here. Padel, which is a cross between tennis and squash. It's a good game, except I could do with being fitter! I do watch F1 every now and then, but never seem to keep up with it. I get all the results from my Dad if I miss it though. I don't think he's missed a Grand Prix in years. :)

@ Heather - The NEX is a good camera. I do find I miss having a viewfinder every now and then, but when I'm taking photos I realise how natural framing via a screen is becoming. Especially having the swivel screen. I like to take a lot of shots from low down and certainly wouldn't be able to get my eye to a viewfinder at that level without causing some pain! :) I have the 18-55mm and the 16mm kit lenses. I like them both, but they are taking a back seat to my Canon 50mm FD F1.4 and Canon 28mm FD F2.8 lenses at the moment. The 28mm is amazingly sharp, especially considering it cost me £20! I just got a ND4 filter for the 50mm, so I can use it wide open in bright sunshine which is great. The new firmware coming for the NEX is supposed to have a great feature for focussing manual focus lenses, so i'm looking forward to that.

@ dixeyk - I went to Oviedo a couple of years ago. I love it in the North of Spain. The countryside is amazing. It's sort of like England with Swiss chalets. That's how I remember it anyway. :) Also, it was in Oviedo I stumbled across the most amazing photo exhibition. I think it was organised by The National Geographic. It was very inspiring to say the least.

@ olli , BBW, Herman, & andrewh973 Thanks for the welcome.

Time to start posting. :)

James

• Like Like x 2