Gregory Crewdson - Brief Encounters (documentary)

fin azvandi

Veteran
Saw this in the Strobist blog, a write-up of a documentary (with clips from the film) that is currently making the rounds in some (American) cities. I had not heard of Gregory Crewdson before - he does fully-staged, large-scale photographs of street scenes and images from small-town America.

Gregory Crewdson - Brief Encounters

If you want to see if there's a screening near you, click here. I'll be checking out the Madison show next month.

thanks for this Fin ... there's a thread on RFF namechecking this chap and offering up plenty of "oh he's not a proper photographer" style nonsense, and I hadn't yet got round to looking for him myself.

fascinating and creative stuff. I doubt I'll get to see the film, but I'd love to.

Interesting to see what Crewdson does at the same time as seeing the thread about Kyle Thompson: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f32/20-year-old-surrealist-photographer-15144/

For me, Crewdson is streets ahead ... but then, who knows what Thompson will produce over the rest of his career?

I posted mainly because I thought some people might be interested in checking the film out, but also partly thinking of the surrealist thread. To me personally much of the attraction of photography is finding images "out there" while walking around, but I have a lot of respect for photographers who have a particular vision or image in mind and set out to create it. As to whether it's "proper" photography I guess I don't see much of difference other than degree between this large-scale stuff and things like portrait photography where you choose the background, pose the subject, modify the light, etc.

I like his style of doing things, very directorial.. story related even if fictitious. I'm okay with fiction, even surreal. Haven't seen his movie but I like his work, much of it anyway.

Back