GX200 anyone?

Discussion in 'Ricoh Forum' started by kyteflyer, Jun 2, 2011.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've noticed that this Ricoh forum is overrun by posts about the GRDIII, and it certainly seems to be a really decent camera. In my prowling, looking for the "next best thing" whilst I am waiting to be able to get hands on with an X100 before I commit to a purchase, I have been periodically looking at the GX200.

I can get it here in Oz for $669 (AUD) and that includes the EVF. It seems like a good deal. It has the same 1/1.7 sensor, but has a 3x zoom (24-70-ish) and its a slim jim, unlike my G11 which is chunky, to say the least.

From DCW, where I'd probably buy it unless there were somewhere distinctly cheaper, with Oz warranty...
    Anyone had any experience of this one?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    There was a thread a while back that gave the GX200 a bit of a slagging. Kind of made me want to get one.

https://www.photographerslounge.org/f16/anyone-have-opinions-gx200-1954/

$670 seems a bit much though given the age of the design, when you can still get the similar Panasonic LX3 brand new online here for less than $400, and the much newer LX5 for only a little bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks for that, and an update:

I wandered in to the local camera store, not expecting to see any Ricoh, and they had one only GRDIII and it was $260 cheaper than the cheapest non-grey one I had found so far. So I bought it. On the spot. I think I am a camera tragic. It was $499 and they wouldn't go down any further, but given that DCW has it for $759... I decided to get it. It had been gathering dust on the shelves for some time (and I have cleaned that off now)

I think the Fuji might have to leave home now, as well as some of the other compacts I have not got in my sig :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Hi kyteflyer,

You made a good choice in the GRD III. I've just seen your post about the GX200 and it was a good move not getting it. I had one and the noise was visible at ISO 100 and more so at ISO 200. After that, things go quickly down hill. 800 is pretty much unusable! I thought I would be able to live with it, but in reality and everyday shooting, it's impossible to always stay at base ISO. At ISO 64 everything was fine and it was a lovely camera to use, but soon became frustrating for the above reasons. I too have ended up with a GRD III and am very happy with it.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase. I'm sure you will ! :)

James

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    GRD of a any version are superb!!!! Good catch!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Jimmy and Lili. Now I have it, I can't wait to get out with it. Hope I can do it justice :)