GX7, OMD10 or NEX6?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I have a NEX6 with an 8mm FE that I don't use (and can't seem to sell!), a 55-210, and three legacy 50mm (Rokkor 45/2, FD 50 macro and CZJ 50/1.7). I also have a speedbooster adapter for the MD45/2. I got the NEX last fall, so I've put some time into it.

I was waiting for <strike>Godot</strike> Canon to do something with the M system, but that's not happening,

The NEX produces nice images, and the body is nice. The lenses are nice. It's all quite nice. It's not, however, inspiring, interesting or fun. I looked at the native AF lenses, and they are just more of the same. Nice kit lens, nice 35/1.8 and nice 50/1.8. The 20mm pancake was kind OK, but had some really weird distortion. Nothing inspiring.

So, with spring finally here, I'm trying to decide -- should I get something different?

I'm thinking my options are (and I've ruled out Fuji, Samsung, Nikon One for various reasons):

• Stick with the NEX6 and make it work. Use the RX100 for most stuff, and use the NEX for MF with the 50s and telephoto.
  • Get an OMD10 with kit lens (or maybe the P25). Add the Panny 100-300 and probably either the O25/1.8 or the PL25 (obviously, get adapters for the legacy 50s)
  • Get a GX7 with the same lens line-up.
  • Stick with the NEX6 through the spring, and get an OMD10 or GX7 for the fall, after prices come down further

What I want in a camera is:
  • Compact size
  • Easy MF when I want it (30%), but fast and sure AF when needed (70%)
  • Good option for the 30-50mm equivalent range and good telephoto
  • Easy controls, with 2 wheels preferred
  • Flippy LCD
  • Built-in EVF
  • Pop-up flash for fill (prefer the ceiling-bounce option of the NEX6 and GX7)
  • Good saturation, colors, dark blacks
  • Good skin tones
  • Auto-PF/CA control with native lenses
  • Good jpg engine
  • Budget of $400-500 for the body(!)

I think the answer is to wait through the summer and see where prices are in the fall, but I'm also stuck a bit between the GX7 and the OMD10, even if the prices were cheaper.

Good to see a post from ya again. =D

I would vote for sticking with the NEX-6 through spring, because you know we are going to see price drops on all of these bodies.

One curveball (or wreckingball on budget).... did you seen the $1250-ish deal on the Sony A7 body this month?

From nex to m43 you'll have a little faster af esp at night, and the longer reach zooms. nex-6 price might go down more esp w/ faster af A6000 is out.

Btw gx7 and em10, I would choose gx7 for mf (blue peaking color available), 1/8000sec and silent e-shutter. E-shutter has limitations and normal gx7 shutter might be more noisy then em10. Also the body shape is different as you might prefer one to the other.

Thanks Kyle!

Yeah, I have been watching the a7 prices, but for some reason they aren't moving me, plus we have some big-time expenses coming up, so I'm on a buget :)

Nice updates on the Flickr set!

From nex to m43 you'll have a little faster af esp at night, and the longer reach zooms. nex-6 price might go down more esp w/ faster af A6000 is out.

Btw gx7 and em10, I would choose gx7 for mf (blue peaking color available), 1/8000sec and silent e-shutter. E-shutter has limitations and normal gx7 shutter might be more noisy then em10. Also the body shape is different as you might prefer one to the other.

All good points. By next fall, I might be inclined to keep the NEX6, as it may be nearly worthless!

1/8000 is a good point. Body shape is another. One though was the OMD10+add-on grip might handle the 100-300 better than the GX7, but for all else, the GX7 might be more compact feeling.

If u stay w/ the nex6, try the Sigma 'art' series lenses on it. IMHO, they tend to better then most of the e mount lenses Sony has made.

I shoot m43 for nature and bird work, but recently started setting up a m43 travel kit. My em5 w/ for long tele work because of 5 axis ibis really cannot be beat. The om10 does not have the 5 axis ibis.

I picked a gx7 as my travel kit and just got my 12-32 kit zoom from Japan today. I plan to use a three lens kit that include the 12-32 I just received plus my old pany 20 and sigma 60f2.8.

I like the menu system, control layout, and even the touch screen of the gx7 much better than the em5. The new 16mp sensor on the gx7 to me appears to be better than the em5. In terms of af speed, I can't tell the difference, but others have said the Olympus is faster.

Good luck
Gary

GX7+75-300 is fine vs I used a third party grip w/ EM5 + 75-300. I don't know how the 100-300 is with them. OMD w/ grip was bigger (due to the evf hump).

Yes, 2nd hand prices are going down, but then nex-6 was cheap to begin w/ compared to higher m43 bodies. Low end Nex-3n w/ better sensor is nearly half the price of gm1 w/ similar kit lenses. Even A7(R) has a big cut on prices after 4-5 months of release eg competing w/ XT1 & EM1. Although lenses are missing, Sony is so far successful by pricing & selling cheap bodies. Sigma ceo was saying lens utilization rate is lower with mirrorless (other then users of higher priced bodies like nex 6/7, OMD, etc) compared to dslr users.

All good points. By next fall, I might be inclined to keep the NEX6, as it may be nearly worthless!

1/8000 is a good point. Body shape is another. One though was the OMD10+add-on grip might handle the 100-300 better than the GX7, but for all else, the GX7 might be more compact feeling.

Sigma ceo was saying lens utilization rate is lower with mirrorless (other then users of higher priced bodies like nex 6/7, OMD, etc) compared to dslr users.

That's very interesting. I wonder if that is due to pricing (generally more expensive than DSLR) and availability (fewer options)?

Most probably all of these contribute. Some P&S upgraders don't need much except the kit lens. Also early m43 users and a lot of nex users end up w/ manual legacy lenses which doesn't translate to new lens sales. Legacy lenses are cheap and also cover the lens deficiencies of the systems.

That's very interesting. I wonder if that is due to pricing (generally more expensive than DSLR) and availability (fewer options)?

Back