Ricoh GXR M-module review by DigitalRev

I guess to use snap focus, one has to be able to estimate the distance to the subject with accuracy?

Not necessarily. I would assume that if you're shooting with snap focus you've also selected Aperture Priority. Then what's in focus depends on the your snap focus distance in combination of your aperture setting. Of course, when you look at the LCD or through the EVF, there's a vertical bar that can be displayed on the left side that will show a green bar vertically alongside it that shows the distance of what will be in focus. This green bar of course changes as you open or close your aperture setting or change your snap focus distance.

I guess to use snap focus, one has to be able to estimate the distance to the subject with accuracy?

With the GRD family, the small sensor translates into HUGE depth of field, even with large apertures, and if you can stop down to about f5 or so, the whole world should be in focus with a snap focus distance of 1.5-2.5 meters. The equation changes a bit with the GXR's larger sensor modules, but you can still work a fair amount of DOF out with a decently small aperture. For street shooting, my subjects are almost always between 3-15 feet of me, and that's a pretty easy range to cover with snap focus. Its the whole idea of zone focusing really, which goes back a LOOOOOONG way. its just that the Ricoh's are set up to make it REALLY easy to get into, and back out of if you want to shoot both AF and zone focus.

-Ray

Plus, add in Auto ISO with your choice of minimum shutter speed and maximum ISO speed along with Auto Aperture Shift what's not to like?

(BTW, thinking Auto ISO) Someone on this site linked to a 3 time award winning travel photographers video being interviewed and two things caught my attention. One the camera needs to get out of the way and two he almost screwed up an important shoot because he forgot to readjust his ISO speed from being inside and having set 1600 to walking outside to shoot a paid group shot.

I think my Ricoh GXR has both of those covered ;)

Back