Ricoh GXR Zoom Comparison

Cristian Sorega

Regular
I promised to post this here for Michael in the A16 zoom post and although I finished the review a while ago, I completely forgot and only remembered now. So if you're still interested in my comparison you can read it all here:

Cristian Sorega Photography: Ricoh GXR (S10, P10 and A16) Zoom Review

S10-P10-A16_front.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My conclusion is that if you really need a zoom for the GXR and you are willing to compromise on one thing or another the P10 is the best choice.

I promised to post this here for Michael in the A16 zoom post and although I finished the review a while ago, I completely forgot and only remembered now. So if you're still interested in my comparison you can read it all here: ...
My conclusion is that if you really need a zoom for the GXR and you are willing to compromise on one thing or another the P10 is the best choice.

Thanks, Cristian, just read and this has helped me decide not to get a GXR at all. I was looking at the 24-72 mostly but if its that bad, no sale :)

I remember being disappointed with the S10. It is the only GXR unit that has not impressed me. The P10 did impress me, but I never use it. The A16 has also impressed me (except for distortion at 24mm), but the truth is I simply don't use zooms much at all.

Thanks for the review, Christian. My interest in the GXR increased when I heard about the APS-C zoom module, and I was doing a bit of research on it just recently. I came away surprised at the lack of a manual zoom ring given the amount of real estate available on the barrel. In a perfect world I'd have one of these plus the 50mm module, but those roles are already covered for me with the Canon G1X and 25/1.4 on Micro 4/3 so it's just not going to happen. Love the GXR concept and Ricoh's design philosophy, I just don't have room for it in my bag!

Incidentally I did have a CX1 which was a neat little camera but being jpeg only I didn't like to go above ISO 200. Aside from heavy noise reduction the CX1 also had a strange colour shift as you increased the ISOs; definitely not a low light machine. I never really tracked the progress of the CX line after that other than noting the changes to the zoom range, but the sensor and lens obviously seems to work well enough in the GXR module, especially with the RAW capability.

Back