Sony hand grips for the RX1

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I was wondering if there are any sort of aftermarket handgrips of the RX1. Not the thumb grip....something along the lines of the handgrip for the E-M5...... something to curl your fingers around. I'll keep googling, but if any of you know of any, I'd love to see some photos or links. Holding one today, it just seems soooooo small.

Thanks for those links. I wasn't finding those in my searches. In a bit of handling, it's better than the first impressions, but my tastes in camera sizes and grips are similar to yours with respect to the Oly cameras. I like small(ish) cameras, but I like them with grips....preferrably deep ones. I'm not sticking any of these cameras in my pockets. I may try a wrist strap, too....sometimes that makes a big difference where your hand falls.

Here are a couple I've seen:

3S Kangrinpoche PSRX1G Professional Quick Release Plate with Grip for Sony RX1 | eBay

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

I find the RX1 to be such a two handed camera in operation that I don't miss a larger grip. Between the aperture and focus rings, I'm always adjusting something with my left hand, so it's usually supporting the camera and my right hand is just working the the shutter button, exposure comp dial, and any other rear controls I might need for a given shot.

Edit - sorry, somehow missed that these were the exact same links that Serhan provided - now you have them twice!

-Ray

by using a little "fuzzy math" I returned the K-5iiS, cancelled my GR order and it only cost me $350 to buy a used one on Amazon. :tiphat:

Time will tell if the IQ trumps the slightly too small size. At first, I was thinking...."whoah, it's too tiny...where do my hands go?" But after a little time playing with it, it's starting to feel a little better. Still, feel is a big deal for me.

I was wondering who bought one of em...I've been watching the price go down $200 over the last couple of weeks on the used RX1's. Amazon still has roughly 10 of them in stock used.

Golly gee ... I feel like I had to dig the information out of you again Luke ... I shouldn't have to do that, you know? ;)

I don't like to be the guy that has an excited post about the awesome new camera and then two weeks later it's gone (e.g. - K-5iiS).

But I promise not to keep you in the dark about any other purchases I make. This afternoon, I'm buying some bananas, a gallon of milk and possibly a neutral density filter so I can shoot this thing wide open in the sun (a built-in one like the X100 would have been preferred).;)

Inquiring minds would like to know more --- what type of milk?

And yes, the previous awesome camera is gone! But you still have the K30 right? Amin must have passed something onto you!

Inquiring minds would like to know more --- what type of milk?

And yes, the previous awesome camera is gone! But you still have the K30 right? Amin must have passed something onto you!

The milk will be 1%. And it will be organic.

The K-30 is quivering over in corner. No camera is safe. There's a couple Pentax lenses for sale on the Pentax Forums as we speak and it would only take a moment to list 4 more and a body. I think the E-M5 will be a better jack of all trades back-up camera. Do you have a silver one you'd like to trade for a low miles K-30? ;)

Woooooooooo!!!!! :D

I use a gariz finger loop and it helps for one hand holding
I do wonder why they didn't nex the grip out. You'd get a bigger battery in there too! Or two memory cards!
Yes. Must get nd filter Luke! This camera is gorgeous at f2!!!

FYI, here's a quick review of the Really Right Stuff plate + grip from Bob Hodgen on the RX1 World Shooters group on Facebook:

Bob Hodgen said:
Just got the Really Right Stuff BRX1 bottom plate with grip. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet.

First impressions:

It really gives the RX1 a secure grip, I feel that I'm much less likely to drop my expensive camera. The wide groove near the top perfectly fits my middle finger and my thumb naturally rests on the rubber pad below the exposure comp dial.

The grip is very well made of anodized aluminum and mounts securely with a quarter inch hex screw to the bottom of the RX1. There is a cut-out which allows the battery/SD card compartment to be opened without removing the grip. There's another cutout in the bottom for the speaker.

The bottom of the grip is a dovetail compatible with RRS and Arca-Swiss quick release clamps.

The RRS grip does add a bit of bulk to the RX1, and it's not cheap, but the feeling of security when shooting handheld more than compensates.

Back