1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

hand grips for the RX1

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by Luke, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I was wondering if there are any sort of aftermarket handgrips of the RX1. Not the thumb grip....something along the lines of the handgrip for the E-M5...... something to curl your fingers around. I'll keep googling, but if any of you know of any, I'd love to see some photos or links. Holding one today, it just seems soooooo small.

2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks for those links. I wasn't finding those in my searches. In a bit of handling, it's better than the first impressions, but my tastes in camera sizes and grips are similar to yours with respect to the Oly cameras. I like small(ish) cameras, but I like them with grips....preferrably deep ones. I'm not sticking any of these cameras in my pockets. I may try a wrist strap, too....sometimes that makes a big difference where your hand falls.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Here are a couple I've seen:

3S Kangrinpoche PSRX1G Professional Quick Release Plate with Grip for Sony RX1 | eBay

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

I find the RX1 to be such a two handed camera in operation that I don't miss a larger grip. Between the aperture and focus rings, I'm always adjusting something with my left hand, so it's usually supporting the camera and my right hand is just working the the shutter button, exposure comp dial, and any other rear controls I might need for a given shot.

Edit - sorry, somehow missed that these were the exact same links that Serhan provided - now you have them twice!

-Ray

5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Luke ... did you get a RX1?

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    by using a little "fuzzy math" I returned the K-5iiS, cancelled my GR order and it only cost me $350 to buy a used one on Amazon. :tiphat:

Time will tell if the IQ trumps the slightly too small size. At first, I was thinking...."whoah, it's too tiny...where do my hands go?" But after a little time playing with it, it's starting to feel a little better. Still, feel is a big deal for me.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Congratulations Luke - I'll be interested in your reactions.

-Ray

8. zapatista

zapatista SC Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Mike
    I was wondering who bought one of em...I've been watching the price go down $200 over the last couple of weeks on the used RX1's. Amazon still has roughly 10 of them in stock used.

9. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Golly gee ... I feel like I had to dig the information out of you again Luke ... I shouldn't have to do that, you know? ;)

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't like to be the guy that has an excited post about the awesome new camera and then two weeks later it's gone (e.g. - K-5iiS).

But I promise not to keep you in the dark about any other purchases I make. This afternoon, I'm buying some bananas, a gallon of milk and possibly a neutral density filter so I can shoot this thing wide open in the sun (a built-in one like the X100 would have been preferred).:wink:

11. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Inquiring minds would like to know more --- what type of milk?

And yes, the previous awesome camera is gone! But you still have the K30 right? Amin must have passed something onto you!

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The milk will be 1%. And it will be organic.

The K-30 is quivering over in corner. No camera is safe. There's a couple Pentax lenses for sale on the Pentax Forums as we speak and it would only take a moment to list 4 more and a body. I think the E-M5 will be a better jack of all trades back-up camera. Do you have a silver one you'd like to trade for a low miles K-30? :wink:

13. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I could come up with a silver one to trade for your RX1.

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Anything is possible.

15. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Woooooooooo!!!!! :D

I use a gariz finger loop and it helps for one hand holding
    I do wonder why they didn't nex the grip out. You'd get a bigger battery in there too! Or two memory cards!
    Yes. Must get nd filter Luke! This camera is gorgeous at f2!!!

16. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Doesn't Richard Franiec do one?

Sent from another Galaxy

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    RX100, yeah, but not RX1. Don't think he could work with the grippy material Sony includes on the grip area of the RX1.

-Ray

18. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    FYI, here's a quick review of the Really Right Stuff plate + grip from Bob Hodgen on the RX1 World Shooters group on Facebook:

19. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  20. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    The RRS looks awesome. I've used their other grips on the Fuji X-100 and others. Super nice.