Hand Held Twilight Mode

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by olli, Feb 16, 2011.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Here are a couple of shots from my recent trip to Prague taken in the Old Town Square. This first shot was a normal shot: ISO3200 f5.6 1/25 18mm. NR was applied in LR - 25 Luminance, 25 Colour.

5450644673_7b8940db7c_o.
    110130-00511 by ...olli..., on Flickr

This second shot was taken using the camera's hand held twilight mode: ISO1600 f3.5 1/30 18mm. No NR applied.

5450645947_6055ac1606_o.
    110130-00516 by ...olli..., on Flickr

If I had shot the first one at ISO1600 and f3.5 I think I could have got close to the same result in LR. That said, using the HHT mode does save work in LR and it does produce a very clean image particularly in the dark sky.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    It looks beautiful to me, olli. I do like the second one even better. Wonderful color and clarity - and, of course, what a setting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I would be pleased with either of them but must admit that the second one has the edge. Lovely shot!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    One from tonight - just up from our flat in a suburb of Bordeaux

quite a cold light - but the temperature dropped to almost freezing - nothing to do with the light!

good old 20mm f1.7 on the Oly EP

sorry about the (dust) bin - but they collect every evening

Bouscat_night.

Bouscat_night_2.

The foie gras was good

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice setting

This setting is really helpful. I have used it a few times, and the pics looked great.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Which camera? I can see a difference when I'm looking for it, but I don't know that I'd have noticed if I'd seen these two photos a minute or two apart and didn't know what I was looking for. But it is a slightly better result on an already fine looking photograph...

-Ray

7. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Forgot to mention that bit - NEX5

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Ahh, yeah. I have one of those. I'll have to go find that feature the next time I'm out shooting in the evening with it! :cool:

-Ray

• Like Like x 1