Happy Thanksgiving

Back at you, Luke. We feasted at my daughter and son-in-law’s apartment in Arlington. We helped cook but they handled the clean up while we drove the 175 mile trip back home.

Oh man, I'd much rather drive for 3 hours. Our house looks like a bomb covered in food exploded. I don't know how people have children and survive.

And no photos from me today, but I saved an Olympus from a curious 3 year old, and jumped up just in time before a 1 year old turned the volume knob on the stereo from 3 to "blow up Luke's speakers".

I can't remember the last time I was this exhausted by 7:30 at night.

And I need to deal with Black Friday tomorrow.....hopefully the shop won't be too crazy.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My parents were kind enough to collect traditional Filipino fruits so my kids could discover what they've been missing in conventional grocery shopping: Rear (L-R) Lychees, Hopia (what the Chinese refer to as Mooncakes), Mangos, the alien looking ones to the right are Rambutans, Front: Sampaloc (Tamarinds) flanked by Green and Yellow Senorita Bananas. Hiding all the way in the back is the spiky but tasty Langka (Jackfruit) - you just don't want it falling on your head during peak ripeness.

THKSGIVING-2017-001-Edit.jpg

I'm not sure if I should be grateful that Black Friday became a thing here too, even though we have (so far) not been Americanized enough to celebrate thanksgiving. On the one hand I dislike rampant consumerism and mindlessly taking over American culture just because we see it on TV... on the other hand, I did order 5 HD metal prints at 50% off yesterday :D

Anyway, taking a moment to be grateful for what you have is a nice concept.

Our traditional autumn feast of St Nicolas (aka Sinterklaas, aka the original Santa Clause - so I guess the cultural transfer used to go both ways!) is upon us now, and - racism debate aside - will be a reason to enjoy the warmth and magic of gathering by the fireplace with friends and family.

Back