Has DPR gone completely around the bend or has my tolerance level just dropped?

I've used DRReview for years covering many of the Forums but it was when I bought my Fuji X10 and joined the Fuji Group ( not the X100 group ) I realised how rude some users could be.
Because I hadn't experienced the same level of hostility on other DPR Forums, it came as an eye opener. I put 6 users into my ignore list but most of the "bullying" came one from a Know-it-all Canadian who constantly stirred some loyal minnows.
Having made DPReview aware of the problem they acted promptly and things calmed down when some offenders were suspended. It's currently much better - I think!

Oddly the talk today is of UK legislation forcing sites to identify those defaming or otherwise abusing others using civil and criminal law to bring the internet into line with other media.
With it's British and Amazon connections it should be possible by this time next year to force companies like DPReview ( although Facebook and Twitter seem to be the main targets ) to reveal IP Addresses of miscreants leading to both Civil and Criminal prosecutions.
I wonder how that will all work out.

Many years ago in the early days of Planetarion I came under vitriolic attack from another player who, living in Norway, assumed he was safe from me since I lived in England. When I told him I was going to visiting relatives near to him and perhaps we could meet up for a beer to talk through our differences the abuse came to an abrupt halt (I think partly because he then realised I wasn't another teenager)
Anonymity and/or likelihood of never meeting up is I think the main reason people behave so badly. Similar principal to road rage where everyone feels like they are riding around in their own little castle safe from reprisals.

I'm new here because I just purchased an X100. I had left DPR years ago. Anti social is a polite descriptor. More specific and it would get ugly. They are still like that.

As I've also made the tour of other X100 focused forums, your comment is on all of them in one form or another. I consider DPR forums an asset. They collect all that I seek to avoid by going elsewhere.

Back