Having one of my old man moments with embedding YouTube

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by stillshunter, May 3, 2014.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    This is insane, no way I wrangle the letters seems to work. Has something gone wrong with embedding YouTube videos?

I tried the push button way:
    > Hit "Insert Video" button from toolbar
    > Paste URL from YouTube "Share link"
    …that creates gobbledygook on the message.
    i.e.:
    I paste full URL ("https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXJ_obaiYQ") and da dah on screen comes:
    ******** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7bXJ_obaiYQ?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">*********>
    I paste short URL ("http://youtu.be/7bXJ_obaiYQ") and here shows:
    ******** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7bXJ_obaiYQ?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">*********>

I tried using the YouTube embed
    ******** width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7bXJ_obaiYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>*********>
    and I create:
    ******** width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7bXJ_obaiYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>*********>

I even tried pasting source BBCode and that does just creates more Daliesque patterns…:hmmm:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    you may be getting old, but you are correct. the site is having issues with embedding.

I'll have the higher powers look into this and see if it is the forum software or youtube not playing nice and see if anything can be done.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Thank you kind Sir.

When you reach my age you expect to follow the same procedure to achieve the same result - when this fails then I get nothing but muddled.
    Like the other day when I needed to get to a place in front of me more quickly and tried to employ my "Run" function.
    :hmmm: Rather than simply move forward with greater pace, there was all manner of sounds, movements in unassociated areas, bright visuals and a pain in the joints that remains still.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    tell me about it. I tried employing that run maneuver the other day and suspect that someone replaced my 45 year old knees with those of a man twice my age. A cruel joke indeed, this aging. I wish we could start our lives as 85 year old men and continue to get younger until we finally become a soft, bouncy, crying baby.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The forum software doesn't recognise 'ifra me' embed codes any more due to issues with those embedded flickr image sharing codes.

• Like Like x 3
  6. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Yessiree Bob, you and I are of a similar vintage - go Gen-X! Growing more into our skins with some small structural issues. Hey here's a book you got to read from my all-time favourite author who has explored your idea of progressing the other way through life…

Amin: any shortcuts with this one, or are we looking at a larger problem with embeds?

7. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Seems a few of the banner adverts - e.g., B&H are affected by this embed bug

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Aren't you two guys - Mark and Luke in your late 30s, early 40s?

I attempted a You-Tube embed a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Now maybe I can say it wasn't me.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Testing...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    For the reasons Nic mentioned above, posting the YouTube embed code won't work anymore. However, posting the URL to the YouTube page will automatically embed the video.

For example if you post this:
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LZ8LKM_vs
    without the code tags gives you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LZ8LKM_vs

• Like Like x 3
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    and one of my fave Neil tunes, to boot. Is that a subtle poke at Mark and I for griping about our advancing age? :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  12. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Thanks Amin. :tup:

This is a change - as I tried this exact thing here and it didn't work….then. But now it's all hunky-dory on that thread. Which is great x2.
    1. We have a working solution, and
    2. I can keep thinking that I'm engaged with reality.

Now let me tell you what bothers me most about young people, it's that…..

• Like Like x 2
  13. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    ... they have no respect ...

• Like Like x 3
  14. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under