1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from a newbie!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by wakefijr, Oct 20, 2014.

1. wakefijr

wakefijr SC Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    UK
    Rob Wakefield
    Hi,

My name is Rob and have just come across this site. After getting back into photography I got hold of a Canon DSLR plus a few lenses, which are great!. However, I enjoy walking and found carrying round the DSLR kit when doing a few miles cumbersome so started thinking about a pocketable P&S. Not wanting to go over the top to start with I picked up a used Sony DSC- HX20V cheap from Ebay. This is just perfect for my needs, producing excellent images whilst giving me a bit of versatility with the settings. The zoom range is also very useful although, I suppose, most of my shots are in the 1-5x (25-125mm) range. With me carrying round the Sony most of the time, the problem I have now is that I am finding I am using this much more than the DSLR!. Starting to think about upgrading the Sony in the coming months so will probably seek views on what to get next :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site. It seems to me that we're living in a golden age for cameras which are more capable than P&S types and smaller than DSLRs. In the last few weeks several new models have come to the market to add to what was already a reasonable selection of compact cameras for enthusiasts. Plenty of opinions about all of them to be found here.

-R.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PJacobs

PJacobs SC Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Paul
    Hello Rob,

You've come to the right adress! Welcome and I'm looking forward to see some of your images.

Paul

4. wakefijr

wakefijr SC Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    UK
    Rob Wakefield
    Thank you Paul. Will link my Flickr page when it lets me :smile:

5. wakefijr

wakefijr SC Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    UK
    Rob Wakefield
    Oops - I managed it!

Flickr

6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Rob,

Welcome aboard.

This is a great place to hang out, share photographs, and talk about cameras.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  7. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi Rob, welcome aboard.... the HX20V is a great travel camera. I traded up from that to the RX100 but there are things about the HX20V that I miss (principally the zoom range and GPS).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    welcome n00b......let's see some snaps

9. wakefijr

wakefijr SC Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    UK
    Rob Wakefield
    • Like Like x 1
  10. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I just took the Flicker tour, and it's really enjoyable. Welcome, and thanks for the link.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome - a lot of us here are fascinated by some of the small gems of cameras. Just bought a Canon G12 which I don't need but it is fun to use.

• Like Like x 1