1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello from East Charleton

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by grebeman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    East Charleton is pretty small, about 30 houses, so lets say near Kingsbridge in south Devon (UK), that's a bit bigger. A naturalist first and a photographer second, although that might be changing. I've been on the m4/3 forum for some time, registered here for some time as well but not very active. If m4/3 cameras get any smaller then I might be jumping ship with something like an X100, a bit of a Luddite, old enough to appreciate a proper camera and like my modern ones to be as camera like as possible and hoping that some manufacturers will cater for that quirk, now if only Voigtlander would produce something digital.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  2. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Hello & welcome. Could not agree with you more about the direction manufacturers ought to take. I have visited Devon briefly and thought it remarkably beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Barrie, I'm thrilled to have you be here with us. I always enjoy seeing your photos as well as reading your descriptions about them - and your photographic philosophical views, as well. Thanks for the official intro.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 1
  4. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    G'day Barrie. It's great to hear of others not to dissimilar to ourselves. Another hand up here on your thoughts on the direction of kit. A question, if I may? I would also consider myself a naturalist first and photographer second (although the former is not my job nor do I earn a penny from it). I wondered do you use, or intend to use, serious compacts for any field purposes? From my perspective, compacts are excellent for close up work, but not suited to shots of grebe on a pond...for example :wink: So do you use anything for your observations of wildlife on the long-end?

Again great to make you acquaintance. For the record, I live on a little over 100 acres outside of Canberra (it's the capital of Australia for those unfamilar with the name :wink:) and am excited about this time of year, with a myriad of birds and other wildlife migrating through or returning from their winters. Also with the rains there are some very interesting things popping out of the ground...mushrooms and orchids the highlight of this time of year.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hello and welcome Barrie !

6. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi Stillshunter,

As you can see i do indeed use my m4/3 gear for taking natural history photographs. The ones below have all been taken with a Panasonic G1 and a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 DG Macro with the exception of the grebes, the lens used there being a Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 at the 200mm end. I don't do many bird photographs despite being an amateur ornithologist for about 50 years.
    Access to your own 100 acres sounds like a good set up, I have access to a local nature reserve including thankfully areas which are not open to the public.

Head and Thorax of a newly emerged Hairy Dragonfly

Great Crested Grebes at nest

Elephant Hawkmoth

Bee hovering infront of Rosebay Willowherb

Red Admiral Butterfly

male Golden-ringed Dragonfly

Thanks for your interest and hope to see some of your work in this field, now that summer is upon you (wish that was happening here :frown:)

Take care,

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Barrie, thanks so much for these examples - what a super array!

• Like Like x 1
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome here Barrie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KarlJ

KarlJ New to SC

Nov 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Barrie. Very impressive work. Glad I joined!

• Like Like x 1
  10. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Hmmm.....now why do I persist in lugging around my Sigma APO EX 100-300/4 and Tamron SP90 Macro when shots like this are doable on a micro 4/3rds? Trust me the former lens is a BIG GIRL! Great work Barrie :clap2:

• Like Like x 1
  11. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi and thanks for the compliments. I can imagine that your Sigma would indeed be a large lens, that Tamron however has been put to good use by various people on m4/3 as a macro lens.

Barrie

12. Boyzo

Boyzo SC Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Some great closeups there Barrie that Sigma is a great lens

• Like Like x 1