Hello from East Charleton

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
East Charleton is pretty small, about 30 houses, so lets say near Kingsbridge in south Devon (UK), that's a bit bigger. A naturalist first and a photographer second, although that might be changing. I've been on the m4/3 forum for some time, registered here for some time as well but not very active. If m4/3 cameras get any smaller then I might be jumping ship with something like an X100, a bit of a Luddite, old enough to appreciate a proper camera and like my modern ones to be as camera like as possible and hoping that some manufacturers will cater for that quirk, now if only Voigtlander would produce something digital.

Barrie

Barrie, I'm thrilled to have you be here with us. I always enjoy seeing your photos as well as reading your descriptions about them - and your photographic philosophical views, as well. Thanks for the official intro.:th_salute:

G'day Barrie. It's great to hear of others not to dissimilar to ourselves. Another hand up here on your thoughts on the direction of kit. A question, if I may? I would also consider myself a naturalist first and photographer second (although the former is not my job nor do I earn a penny from it). I wondered do you use, or intend to use, serious compacts for any field purposes? From my perspective, compacts are excellent for close up work, but not suited to shots of grebe on a pond...for example ;) So do you use anything for your observations of wildlife on the long-end?

Again great to make you acquaintance. For the record, I live on a little over 100 acres outside of Canberra (it's the capital of Australia for those unfamilar with the name ;)) and am excited about this time of year, with a myriad of birds and other wildlife migrating through or returning from their winters. Also with the rains there are some very interesting things popping out of the ground...mushrooms and orchids the highlight of this time of year.

Cheers

Hi Stillshunter,

As you can see i do indeed use my m4/3 gear for taking natural history photographs. The ones below have all been taken with a Panasonic G1 and a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 DG Macro with the exception of the grebes, the lens used there being a Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 at the 200mm end. I don't do many bird photographs despite being an amateur ornithologist for about 50 years.
Access to your own 100 acres sounds like a good set up, I have access to a local nature reserve including thankfully areas which are not open to the public.

1000675.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Head and Thorax of a newly emerged Hairy Dragonfly

1000851.jpg

Great Crested Grebes at nest

1010012.jpg

Elephant Hawkmoth

1010203.jpg

Bee hovering infront of Rosebay Willowherb

1010538.jpg

Red Admiral Butterfly

1010297.jpg

male Golden-ringed Dragonfly

Thanks for your interest and hope to see some of your work in this field, now that summer is upon you (wish that was happening here :()

Take care,

Barrie

Hmmm.....now why do I persist in lugging around my Sigma APO EX 100-300/4 and Tamron SP90 Macro when shots like this are doable on a micro 4/3rds? Trust me the former lens is a BIG GIRL! Great work Barrie :clap2:

Hmmm.....now why do I persist in lugging around my Sigma APO EX 100-300/4 and Tamron SP90 Macro when shots like this are doable on a micro 4/3rds? Trust me the former lens is a BIG GIRL! Great work Barrie :clap2:

Hi and thanks for the compliments. I can imagine that your Sigma would indeed be a large lens, that Tamron however has been put to good use by various people on m4/3 as a macro lens.

Barrie

Back