1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello from England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Dewi Sant, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Hi all, I've been mooching around here for a week or so now getting some insight into these smaller cameras. It seems like a nice place to be with some helpful people, so as I'm not signed up to any other photo forums now thought I'd register here.

A bit about me. I worked as a photographer (own business) for a good number if years in the days of film. I like to keep my hand in so shoot mainly for my own pleasure these days. I've never been what you could call a "gear head" .. i.e I'm not that bothered about what cameras I use to take my photos as long as it gives good results, I do gravitate towards Canon though - I mostly used their SLR gear through my professional life and it just stuck, last ones were 2 T90s along with one Nikon and a couple of Mamiya medium formats. I like to travel light so have in the past used digital compacts which never gave brilliant results but were very convenient. I never buy expensive camera bodies now as I am by my own admission a terrible abuser of my kit, it gets dropped, soaked frozen and fried so I prefer to keep things cheap! Present DSLR is a Canon 550D body but I do like to use decent lenses so tend to go for Canon 'L', my present carry around lens which is more or less permanently fixed to my camera is a 17- 40L. I shoot a bit of motorsport now and then for which I use a 300 Canon zoom.

I also do a fair bit of travelling - including some road trips by motorbike or car (mostly car now due to a hefty heart attack last year). I'm now in the market for a smaller lighter camera to take on my travels so been looking at various makes and models and will be asking for some sage advice on other threads if there are no objections to that?

Thats about it really. Look forward to chatting to some of you on other theads

D :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Hello Dewi,

Welcome to SC! Great to have you here.

Peter

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm glad you came out from under your invisibility cloak, Dewi. :biggrin: Welcome aboard!

4. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Thanks for the welcome, chaps. I have a couple of cameras in mind so I'll pop for a look around the forum to see what's being said about them - although one of them I've not seen mentioned here, maybe I need to look harder :smile:

D

5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Welcome

But how come there's a Dewi sant in England

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Long story, ReD - all to do with a Welsh Nurse where I was born.....Apparently! :smile:

7. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi Dewi, nice to see someone living in the real God's own country...I moved down south (Cheshire) 20 years ago but still consider myself a Lancastrian through and through.
    For a true compact that delivers excellent IQ, look no further than the Sony RX100 (haven't tried the MkII but if you can make the extra money, the tilting screen is probably worth it for low-level shots). It has some downsides, principally that you need to buy a stick-on grip or you will inevitably drop it, but it's a cracking little camera.

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome Dewi - and I agree with Martin that the RX100 (II) is worth a look.

9. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Thanks very much guys, I have considered the RX100 but the only things that put me off are: I'm not keen on the "blade" lens cover. I had a Sony compact a few years ago and within a few months they got jammed, so I much prefer a proper lens cap now - even if they do get lost periodically. I think I'd also like one of the interchangeable lens cameras so I've been looking at the M4/3 offerings, I've been very impressed by the image quality from them with a decent lens attached . I've just popped a thread on the 4/3 forum which is a bit more specific of my preferences.

D

10. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
  11. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    We skipped the most important question already -- what kind of motorcycle?

12. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Enough with the word motorcycle ! I'm trying to fend off the purchase of a Ducati hypermotard 1100s !

13. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    BMW R1200R ...... Car is a limited edition MX5 or Miata if you prefer. 2.0 litre Sport Black number 239 of 500. :smile:

D