Hello from faraway, exotic Troy NY

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Jock Elliott, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I have been a professional writer for 40 years and a fulltime freelancer for the past 15 years.

I write mostly for high tech and medical organizations, but I also have written under my own byline for a number of magazines.

I write a weekly blog for Airguns of Arizona - Precision Air Rifles, Airgun, Pistols, Pellets and shoot photos to illustrate my blog, which you can find here: Airguns of Arizona Blog | Weekly airgun reports from airgunners to airgunners!

When I was a kid, I shot photos for the school paper with a Leica and Tri-X. I took some photography in college and still have a collection of Pentaxes moldering in a drawer. I even have an Olympus IS-3 (a fixed lens 35-180 35mm SLR).

But here's the thing: those big cameras never go anywhere because it is too big a pain to haul them around.

About 8 years ago, I bought my first digital camera, an Olympus D-550, and I have had literally hundreds of pictures from that camera published. A year ago, I wanted a bigger viewing screen and additional capabilities, so I bought a Canon G12. My ideal camera would be like a G12 with APS-C sensor, a manual control each for shutter and aperture, and easy manual control (if I wanted it) of zoom and focus.

I just discovered this forum the other day, and it seems like it might be my kind of place.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Welcome Jock "exotic Troy" sounds good - I'm sure you'll have a good time here ......... just post a few images as that's what it's all about, (IMHO)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Welcome Jock! I'm afraid it's gonna be a while before we see your dream camera on the market, but in the meanwhile, enjoy the forum!

4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Jock welcome! I'm from "downstate" in Westchester County, New York. Bill is right, please do add some of your photographs to any of the image threads or feel free to begin a new thread, too. Check out our Site Information forum for all sorts of helpful info and how to stickies.:thumbup:

5. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Welcome Jock. I used to live in your area of upstate NY, namely Schenectady and Kinderhook. Welcome to this site.

6. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Hiya Jock
    NY is far away and exotic from here, a storm lashed Scotland!
    Come away in and make yourself at home

7. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Howdy from Dallas! Welcome to the Site!

8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Well, Heather, you know that "Jock" is a fine Chinese name!

9. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Hi Jock

Welcome to Serious Compacts!

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello Jock and welcome from Australia.

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Another Aussie welcome, Jock. Looking forward to seeing your stuff :)

12. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Dan,

I run a commuter assistance network on ham radio workday mornings. We cover Schenectady.

Do you find the X100 as quirky as some people have made it out to be?

Jock