1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from London

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by biglouis, Aug 4, 2013.

1. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    My name is Louis ("biglouis") from London - I am a serious compact system user.

I've migrated away from Nikon and Leica and now shoot mainly with my Sigma DP2M, DP3M and my Sony RX-1.

My main interest is urban landscapes - exploiting the fact that I live in central London and I also work in a historic district of the East End, Whitechapel.

I am developing an interest in landscape photography when I can escape to the country.

For the last 3 years I have mainly been shooting MF film but I have been seduced by the power of Greyskull.... I mean Sigma.

I'm finding it hard to get much of a hard-on for film, or indeed any DSLR or rangefinder system since starting to use the Sigmas. Set up on a tripod at base ISO it is difficult to think of a better light capturing system. Of course, at anything over 800iso the system breaks down, hence the investment in the RX-1 which quite happily works at crazy iso levels. Still, side by side with my best film and RX-1 captures I still come back to the Sigma's.

My wish list is for an interchangeable DPxM, or at the very least a very wide angle version. Here's hoping Sigma is working on such a beast.

LouisB
    My website:LouisBerk.com - Photography
    My Flickr stream here

2. CapoDave

CapoDave SC Veteran

Dec 3, 2011
    Mission Viejo Ca
    Dave Kavlich
    Welcome Louis.
    Looking forward to seeing your images.

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Louis, what kept you...? ;)

You'll find this generally a friendly and supportive community. I think you'll fit in well and enjoy it here.

Sent from another Galaxy

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome Louis.

5. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Welcome aboard Louis!

6. raconteur

raconteur SC Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Louis,

I have absolutely no experience with Sigma DPM. I hear about resolution but that it is very limiting. I had an RX 1 and now a Rx1R and what these cameras can do amazes me. You have both. Anything else you can share to enlighten me?

I love my RX1R and how versifier it is. Far more than I would have thought. Never reace my D4 for many things but indespensible regardless.

7. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    ai. I forgot to welcome you, Louis. So I will correct that now: Welcome!
    I like your landscape photos and colors a lot. Thanks for introducing yourself.
    Since you work in Whitechapel, I had also expected a passion of (TV) mystery/crime photography in Midsomer and Oxford. ;-)
    Peter

8. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    I must admit my opinion of the RX1 has improved even further since I switched to Lightoom 5 and have been able to read the RAW files in directly (instead of via the Sony converter software). I would now say that the RX1 is on a par with the sharpness of the DP2M for all but the most detailed of work. I am sure the RX1R is even better!

Thanks for everyone for making me feel welcome. I recognise several names amongst contributors on this site, as well as Bill (above).

Thanks for the observations. Actually, I did produce a Blurb book sometime back which included references to the Whitechapel murders and did quite a bit of research around that in order to correctly explain the photographs. You can see the book at my website LouisBerk.com - Photography - it is called 'Walk to Work'.

LouisB

9. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Welcome in Louis, looking forward to following your photos. I've never had enough time in London to do it any justice.

I hope our boys didn't leave too much mess last night - they're an excitable bunch.

Get posting!
    Heather, Glasgow/St Andrews

10. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    I will do that. Thanks.
    Petet

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Hello and welcome, Louis. Looking forward to seeing your Sigma stuff. Those cameras are ones I would wish for but will never have :)