Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Phil, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Phil

Phil SC Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Hello all.
    I have just "downgraded" from a Lumix G3 with kit lens and 20mm prime to a Sony RX100. I have only managed one day out with it when I took my 4 year old nephew to the local transport museum. I stuck it in auto and have to say I am more impressed with the pictures than I have ever been in 18 months with the G3 and I love the size of it. I'm in that state of mind where I can't wait to get out and take some more pictures, I never felt like that with the G3. I came to the G3 after wanting more from my camera, (I had a Canon Ixus 800) I loved taking pictures but the Ixus was limited. I kept it for a few years as I really didn't want the size of a dslr, then micro 4/3 system came out but I didn't like the small ones like the nex that looked like a compact with a big lens stuck on, then I found the G3 which I thought would be what I wanted. After getting it I started to think I might as well have had a dslr but I stuck with it but never got shots as good as the RX100, maybe it's my lack of skill.
    Anyway that's my little introduction, hope I didn't bore you.
  2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs

RX-100 is a great camera. Panasonic stripped down the G3 a bit much control-wise I think. I have a GX1 I shoot but it's actually an improvement over the G3 n some ways.

In fact, I have a full spectrum of mu-43 gear, but for simplicity when out with family I often use a Panasonic LX7. Today's small cameras are amazing and the RX-100 with it's larger-than-average sensor for a compact is at or near the top in terms of what it can do.

I think you could have chosen a worse camera for sure!
  3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    G'day Phil and welcome aboard Serious Compacts. The RX100 is a great little camera indeed. All one might ever need :blush:
  4. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Hiya Phil, you didn't bore us at all (yet :) ) Looking forward to seeing your pics, get posting!
    Heather, Scotland
  5. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Hello, and welcome to the forum...:smile:

I've had the RX100 for about six months now, and it has amazed me with its ability to just deliver, in so many ways. I do have several cameras, from compact up to FF DSLR, and I use all of them to varying degrees. However I'm beginning to think that if I had to decide to keep only one of them, this would probably be the one. Ok, it isn't the outright best of my cameras (whichever way "best" might be defined...:wink:) but it does most things so very well, and it's so easy to carry. As stillshunter said above... "All one might ever need".
  6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    A very belated welcome to you, Phil. I'm sorry that I haven't been keeping my eyes open to all the new members. I hope you'll come back and let us know how you're enjoying your RX100!
  8. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    The RX100 is a wonder camera. I also started with an ELPH/IXUS around 2002 I think, and went through (and still use) DSLRs, but the RX100 is exactly what I wanted my ELPHs to be!