Sony Help: RX 100 M4 Panorama mode not working

Bob Minion

Hi,

I recently bought an RX 100 M4 based on its positive reviews. Now that I am exploring the cameras features, I constantly ran into the issue that the camera is not able to take panoramic pictures.

I have tried vairous settings for "Direction of movement" and picture size but nothing seem to help.
Most of the time I get the error: "Move straight in direction of arrow" I can't say how often I tried it, if set to Right, I move the camera to the right, if set to Left, I move it to the left etc. but so far without success.

Sometime, when I ran out of patience, and moved the camera quickly, I got of course the message, "Move camera slowly"

Summary is: I have not been able to take a single panoramic shot.
This is a $1000 camera. The fact that something so simple is not working on a high end piece of equipement frustrates me.

Is there anybody out there in this forum who has some advice? Could this be a software issue for which an update exists?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Bob Minion

I assume you're moving the camera in the direction of the arrow on the screen, right (just checkin)?

Other question - what lighting conditions are you trying this in? The camera (at least the mark 1) will need enough light to shoot a 1/500 second exposure. Also try your first panos on distant subjects without too much in the foreground to cause parallax problems. It does take a little practice, and it's not as slick and simple as, say, an iPhone, but I do find it works reasonably well. For optimum quality, however, I just shoot a series of overlapping frames and combine them myself in post. Better results overall.

Back