1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[C&C] Help wanted!

Discussion in 'Photo Critique' started by P.H, Jan 22, 2012.

1. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    As title.
    St Pancras train station has a fantastic roof and a sculpture of John Betjeman looking up at it. Should make a good photo. Despite several attempts over the last year I just can't get it. It's somewhere I often end up with an hour to kill, so suggestions on what to try next time would be appreciated, either composition or processing. My best attempt so far, feel free to suggest what's wrong with it;

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    PH, there is not much wrong with this from a composition point of view. Personally I would crop about 5% off the bottom, and about the same off the left hand side. Above all, though, I would render it in monochrome. I wouldn't do it without permission, but if it would help I can download a copy and tweak it to show you what I mean?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    This shot does cry out for a mono processing. I also would like more context....more of the roof AND more of the ground. I would do a 2 shot vertorama. This is a good starting point though, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Does his sightline converge within the confines of the frame?

• Like Like x 1
  5. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    That'd be great, please do.

6. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    That's my new word for the day! Had to google it, hmm I'll have a play with that.

7. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    Sorry, you've lost me. Could you explain please?

8. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Okayyy... this is EXTREMELY quick'n'dirty, but hopefully illustrates what I mean. I have desaturated, then played about with boosting contrast across the piece slightly with levels before dodging and burning to accentuate the structure and the light on JB's face. Oh, and it is a slightly tighter crop. Hope this helps!!

St Pancras Betjeman.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    I like it in color, I could play with it a little if you want to see

• Like Like x 1
  10. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    Thanks. I'm going to have to learn some of this stuff! The crop improves it and I like how you've done the B&W. Though the way I see the station is light and airy and I'm not sure B&W shows that.

11. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    Yes please.

12. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I like it color, as well. And just for the record, that was my immediate thought.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    tweaked.
    I just ran a little sharpening, little hdr, small crop, small level change, small saturation change

• Like Like x 2
  14. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    You incredible dudes, this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind for the game for February - https://www.photographerslounge.org/f88/new-game-february-5960/

As for the image I'm seeing a crop as well - there's a suggestion of where it should be along the top of the orange gates. I haven't tried it but would be great if the proportion brought the left crop in a little tighter but leaving it clear of the whole figure.

I might have a play with it tomorrow if i get a chance. It would be interesting to see what Silver Efex would do to it, if anybody who has it fancied a go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Realizing this is all subjective; when I cropped I only trimmed the top and bottom, I like the space on the left, I think it helps with the balance of the composition

• Like Like x 2
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I like the idea of this image in monochrome, but with more of a high-key look to reveal the detail in the roof.

SC01.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I prefer the above in mono; but showing both the roof with more clarity and the the light on the statue's face.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I'm not terribly wild about it in BW. I prefer the color one, maybe not quite as saturated as Landshark's version, but maybe something close to that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I prefer the photo in color. My preference would also be to step back a little bit more while maintaining the low angle, which will make the statue seem a little bit smaller relative to the station, and thereby make the station look even more grandiose.

• Like Like x 1
  20. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    A really big thank you to all who've contributed, especially those who've taken the time to edit it. There's plenty here for me to think about, I need to get to grips with the editing software I have, but I knew that already. I'm still not sure about the composition, that's for the next time I have an hour to kill between trains.
    I like both the B&W versions, such a different feel to each, Luckypenguin's shows the roof off well. Yet neither of them would be the photo I had in my head when I pointed the camera. Landshark's gets pretty close to that, maybe pulled back a bit as Djarum suggested, that's something I can have a play with myself.
    If anyone else would like a go, please do, one of the interesting things for me is how different the same image can look.
    Again, big thanks.