1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by theoldsmithy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi all, I've just found serious compacts. After years of following the rancorous discussions on dpreview, I find it a real breath of fresh air to see discussions that don't just degenerate into "and you smell" levels of puerile name-calling but actually offer helpful opinions.
    I have been a keen photographer for 20+ years, and my favourite cameras for the first few years were Pentax (I had an SF7 SLR, but when that died I swapped it for a 35-140 compact, can't recall the model but it was really good); then when I moved to digital I went with Canon (A20, A60, A700 and finally a G12). I've also had compacts from Fuji (F70EXR) and Sony (HX7V), and a Nikon D40 DSLR. My current gear is all Sony - an NEX-5N and an HX20V. As you can see I tend to chop and change equipment! In fact I will posting my current dilemma on here so I'm looking forward to some useful discussions. I have recently discovered the joys of software such as Luminance and Topaz Adjust. Oh, you can find my stuff on Flickr under theoldsmithy.

• Like Like x 8
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Welcome to the forum then, you will be in good company here, we all change our cameras (or want to) as often as the rest of the planet changes underwear. But geez its fun :) Will check yr flickr... but you could put it in a signature too, if you want :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Thanks Sue, will check out your stuff too. That signature option took some finding but I've updated it now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    This is why I love this place (even though I haven't been as active here for an extended period). Forum members here are a hell of a lot nicer, mature, and more positively constructive than most other photography forums, and knowledgeable. The photography here is excellent too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Hello and welcome to the party :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Welcome to Serious Compacts! Looking forward to seeing some of your work here, as well as your questions :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Welcome aboard!

This is a good place.
    FZ150_experiment_ad-001_Medium_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Welcome Martin. Having spent my share of time at DPR (and still checking in there from time to time), I can assure you this is a much nicer and more civilized place. We don't assume that your personal worthiness is tied directly to whether you own the very same cameras we do or not. But several of us do smell and its OK if you do too. So far we can see and hear via the internet, but smell doesn't travel through all of those tubes and wires quite so easily... :biggrin:

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Glad to have you here, Martin but I'll just be upfront and reiterate that it would be great if you added your Flickr link, and I must add that I'm not one of the members who smells.:eek::wink:

Though I've been a bit busy on the non-Internet world, I still love to come home to Serious Compacts.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    BB....I'm sorry to hear about the accident. What happened to your nose? :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    welcome mate, welcome to a friendly saloon bar.

13. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi all my flickr link is in my signature now . Cheers, Martin

• Like Like x 2