Hi everyone

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Hi all, I've just found serious compacts. After years of following the rancorous discussions on dpreview, I find it a real breath of fresh air to see discussions that don't just degenerate into "and you smell" levels of puerile name-calling but actually offer helpful opinions.
I have been a keen photographer for 20+ years, and my favourite cameras for the first few years were Pentax (I had an SF7 SLR, but when that died I swapped it for a 35-140 compact, can't recall the model but it was really good); then when I moved to digital I went with Canon (A20, A60, A700 and finally a G12). I've also had compacts from Fuji (F70EXR) and Sony (HX7V), and a Nikon D40 DSLR. My current gear is all Sony - an NEX-5N and an HX20V. As you can see I tend to chop and change equipment! In fact I will posting my current dilemma on here so I'm looking forward to some useful discussions. I have recently discovered the joys of software such as Luminance and Topaz Adjust. Oh, you can find my stuff on Flickr under theoldsmithy.

Welcome to the forum then, you will be in good company here, we all change our cameras (or want to) as often as the rest of the planet changes underwear. But geez its fun :) Will check yr flickr... but you could put it in a signature too, if you want :)

Hi all, I've just found serious compacts. After years of following the rancorous discussions on dpreview, I find it a real breath of fresh air to see discussions that don't just degenerate into "and you smell" levels of puerile name-calling but actually offer helpful opinions.

This is why I love this place (even though I haven't been as active here for an extended period). Forum members here are a hell of a lot nicer, mature, and more positively constructive than most other photography forums, and knowledgeable. The photography here is excellent too.

Welcome aboard!

This is a good place.
FZ150_experiment_ad-001_Medium_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Welcome Martin. Having spent my share of time at DPR (and still checking in there from time to time), I can assure you this is a much nicer and more civilized place. We don't assume that your personal worthiness is tied directly to whether you own the very same cameras we do or not. But several of us do smell and its OK if you do too. So far we can see and hear via the internet, but smell doesn't travel through all of those tubes and wires quite so easily... :D

-Ray

Glad to have you here, Martin but I'll just be upfront and reiterate that it would be great if you added your Flickr link, and I must add that I'm not one of the members who smells.:eek:;)

Though I've been a bit busy on the non-Internet world, I still love to come home to Serious Compacts.:drinks:

Back