Hi from Cambridge MA

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
Hello hello, camera nerds.

Me: Mid-30's, grew up using a Minolta X-370 and all the free b+w film I could shoot (graphic arts class in high school, we even had a dark room!). That camera was eventually lost by Delta about ten years ago, and ever since I've been point-n-shooting digitals of various cheap sorts, always missing the control and quality of good stuff but never wanting the size or cost. And every year, the entry level DSLR's got better and better by leaps and bounds, all at the same price or cheaper. That's an environment that rewards indecision. Finally I had a kid almost 3 years ago, and all my family lives somewhere else, so photos and the occasional video are the lifeline.

I decided this was the year I would stop relying on compacts and get something with a big sensor and some controls, but the search process was daunting. "The best camera you have is the one you actually brought with you," my buddy once told me, and he was so very right. He's left his D70S at my house for almost a year now, and I've shot maybe 1200 pictures on it. That's it. I never want to bring it because it's BIG, and it's imposing looking... people act differently when they see and hear a big piece of kit honed in on them. When I'm packing for a airplane / bicycle trip across the netherlands, I do NOT want to sacrifice a huge chunk of luggage space for that D70, so I didn't. Ditto California coast. With a tiny tiny tiny little Cannon SD780IS in my pocket or in a TINY case on the back of my belt, I could take a million pictures and some of them were even pretty good. It was always there. Not so, the D70S.

That brought me to Father's Day. My wife went into a great local camera store, explained my crazy wants and hates, and they suggested the Fuji X100. When I opened it, I had no idea what it was, I'd only researched DSLR's (would've gone with a D3100) and Micro 4/3 cameras (decided against them, hated the interface and using experience after I played with 2 of them). I kept trying to take the lens off. That led to google, and finally here. Then I spent 2 days tinkering and experimenting, often at my desk at work, a lot of head scratching and then "OOOOH". Now I am in love.

You: Friendly camera geeks who will patiently help me not be so lazy and/or stupid.

Hi everyone.

KillRamsey, your wife gave you one of the most amazing and pleasurable cameras ever! You obviously have a lot to be thankful for in your marriage!:2thumbs:

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop in here for the official meet and greet and you'll definitely find good company here - welcome!:drinks:

Thanks for your intro and welcome to SC. Your wife clearly had the right idea when she got you the x100 and there are plenty of people here to answer your questions when you have them.

I used to have my last name mis-pronounced as Ramsey a lot in school, hell it still happens a lot. Kill Ramsey is a bit of an old joke, wherein both the first and last names are incorrect but close. Just an old habit, I guess. I used to have an indoor soccer jersey with that across the back.

Back