1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from Lancashire Uk

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by fk23, May 2, 2014.

1. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    Hi, I'm new. Here for some advice

Looking to update from my Canon G9 yo something a bit newer and lighter. Been looking at the Sony RX100ii but not sure if it's really comparable in all the areas I want. My G9 has been my gig going camera since I bought it in 07/08. Shot below from one of its outings.

3640297563_b932460204.
    Neil and Chris Encore by The Untrained Eye, on Flickr

It has a good zoom, RAW, excellent macro, I need this in whatever I buy next but I do like the solid feel of the G9.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi there fk23, welcome on board. I don't know the G9 although I had a G12 and loved the handling. But the RX100's image quality is streets ahead and it is a solid little beast too. What is the zoom on the G9? The RX100 only has 100mm although the digital zoom to 200mm is pretty usable too.

3. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    If any friends of mine wanted something that small with a built in zoom, I'd can't imagine recommending anything but the rx100 line. I think I just saw something about the iii version, tho it might have been on a rumour site

4. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    I think it's a 6x zoom, 35-210mm equiv.

5. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    You might find the RX100 a bit restrictive if you are used to the long end of that range. Have you looked at the Panasonic LF1? That has a little EVF plus the wider zoom range, and although the sensor is not on a par with the Sony's I've seen some very nice photos taken with it.

6. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    Not familiar with it, but I will go hunt it out now. I haven't been on a new camera hunt for some years so I have no idea what's really about at the moment!

7. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    I could just bump up to the g16 it seems, although it looks like a G17 may be arriving thus month, hrrrrm. Too much choice out there now, makes it hard to decide what to do.

8. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Welcome to the world of SeriousCompacts :biggrin:

9. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    I'm here to be influenced, basically!

• Like Like x 1
  10. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    The Sony Rx100 II looks pretty great, but how about also checking out the new Canon G1X mk II?

Welcome to the forum!

11. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    The G1x mkII doesn't quite have the zoom of the G16, but then neither does the RX100 II. Brrrr. Trying to work out if I can live without the same zoom I have on my G9.

12. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Hi, and welcome from a fellow Lancastrian :th_salute:

13. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014

How do!

14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Glad you found your way here fk23 - and I do like that shot of yours very much!

15. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    Hi, thanks. The whole album from that show is on Flickr, most of the gigs I've taken the G9 to are on there somewhere.

16. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    And from an exiled Lancastrian!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. fk23

fk23 New to SC

May 2, 2014
    Oof! What did you do? (I'm actually from Essex, I just live up here, which is preferable to living down there)

You'll all be pleased to know I spent my life savings on a Sony RX100 ii this morning and I'll be in the Sony RX forums tomorrow as I have all the questions. I thought the G9 had a lot of settings to dick about with, I was nieve.

18. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Hello fk23 . Welcome

19. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Welcome from an Oldhamer ...ey ups

If you liked the handling of the G9 ( I have a G10 and love it) you may not like the Sony that is being highly recommended as it's all dipping into menus - nowhere near the manual controls of the Canon G series.

Others to consider would, for me, include the Fuji XF-1 (again decent manual controls and a couple of function buttons) and the Fuji X20 - manual controls and good aperture even at the tele end and possibly the Pentax MX-1 - again good aperture range throughout and very good for macro stuff.

The wide apertures of ast two mentioned might be useful for the lighting at gigs :)

20. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    There is hardly any menu diving needed if you set the Fn button up to your liking. Although it's true that the Canons have good controls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk