1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hi !

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Kustom48, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kustom48

Kustom48 SC Regular

Aug 12, 2012
    Wimbotsham, Norfolk, UK.
    ian drury
    Just found your site and have registered as I'm very interested in photography generally and hoping to buy a 'serious compact' camera when I'm able to afford one to use as my 'take it everywhere' camera and to replace/ upgrade my Fuji F200EXR.:smile:

I also own a Panasonic GX1, G3 and an Olympus EPL-1, with various lenses: 20mm F1.7 Panasonic, 45-200mm Panasonic, Olympus 45mm F1.8 and an old Vivitar 28mm F2.8 manual lens via an adaptor ( m4/3rds to m42 thread ).:biggrin:

I love them all for various reasons, but would like to have a truely 'pocketable' compact with advanced features, hence signing up today !:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Ian :smile:

3. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Welcome to the forum, Ian!

4. Nuskyn

Nuskyn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    @Gelderland - the Netherlands
    Jeroen
    welcome..

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Welcome Ian! I should probably mention that this site is also very much about (photography with) the micro 4/3 gear you already own! It's basically about any camera that combines a focus on enthusiast photographers with the aim to be easily brought along (there's a whole topic about what constitutes a "serious compact" somewhere on this website, but suffice to say that if you like it for its smallness it probably qualifies). That being said, the serious fixed-lens compacts are a big (and probably growing) part of that market sector, and this site! :smile:

6. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    Welcome Ian! Looks like you already have quite a few serious compacts in your arsenal.

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    +1 to what Protype said. Have you considered selling one of your m43 cams to fund a pocketable one? 3 seems like a lot of overlap, but perhaps you have specific reasons for them.

Welcome aboard!

8. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Welcome! And hey, you are as well armed as any of us in SC so looking to buy or not, you are more than part of it already ;)

9. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Hi Ian, sounds like you've got everything you need to get stuck in round here! Look forward to seeing your photos :)

10. nikki

nikki SC Top Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Dublin ,Ireland
    Hi Ian - welcome - actually some of those cameras you mentioned are smaller than mine!! I would consider all of those serious compacts:smile:

11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Welcome to the family, Ian

12. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Hello and welcome Ian

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Welcome Ian... and ditto to what the others have said... you have more serious compacts than I do, thats for sure :)

14. macjim

macjim SC Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Hello too!

15. Kustom48

Kustom48 SC Regular

Aug 12, 2012
    Wimbotsham, Norfolk, UK.
    ian drury
    Hello again,
    Thanks for all your 'welcomes' too.
    I actually won the twin lens EPL-1 kit some time back, and I like the art filters it has, but the handling is not as good,to much menu delving for my style of use,and remote release not possible .

The G3 & GX1 seem to work better for me, but neither of them is my 'ideal' camera, as these and many others have compromises in their features.

I bought the G3 to replace a big, heavy DSLR, a Canon 400D and lenses and recently found a bargain GX1 body as a 'previously sold and returned' deal at almost half normal price, so that's why I bought it !

Had good reviews,and when I tried one out, all too briefly, it felt ok to me.

I still would like an advanced feature serious compact that is really pocketable, as even my GX1 & EPL-1 are too big for my puny pockets !

So, any advice and favourable reviews, real world owner experiences would help me decide with no brand favouritism, I'm open to suggestions !

Looking forward to some feedback !

Regards.

16. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    A belated welcome, Ian!

Glad to have you here.:th_salute:

17. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Howdy. Our aim is to inspire you to buy too much equipment.

18. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    And very good at aiming, too!