Sony High Contrast Mono

there are two mono filters you can use built-in. High Contrast Mono and Rich Tone Mono. High Contrast pushes the whites and blacks and will result in blown out areas of pure white and pure blacks buried in shadow. That is what it is supposed to do. Rich Tone mono does the opposite....bringing down white and blacks and keeping more steps in tonal mid-range.

Of course, if neither of those is too your liking, you can do it all in post production and have more control over the final output. I would assume that the algorithm Sony uses for its' filters is the same from camera to camera, but they may tinker with it from time to time.

It's also possible that your shot was just over-exposed. Feel free to post an example here if you think your camera is malfunctioning and our local experts can weigh in with their opinions.

i always preferred hc mono when i had the nex7.

arabumam.jpg

ypusamu8.jpg

egumudun.jpg

y7umy5uz.jpg

gybuqa8a.jpg

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Great pictures. The HC Mono are not the same on RX100 M2 vs Nex 7. I dont know why they made it like that , but HC Mono on Nex 7 looks very good.

But when i use HC Mono on RX100 M2 i tried to play a little with EV + or - ......thats helps a little. But on default setting it not good.

I'm happy that you find the pictures good :th_salute:

The thing i'm wondering is that the NEX 7 produces Black color really black (like your pictures)
The RX100 M2 makes the pictures a little brighter. Anyway.....i found a solution...when i take pictures in HC Mono i set the EV between -0.3 and -1.0. Another solution could be take the pictures in RAW & JPEG. Then i can edit the RAW picture in Adobe CC or Lightroom.

Until now.....i'm very happy for the camera.

Back