Hiking Tips for Photographers?

I carry a Nikon v1 with the 10-30 and 30-110. It has a 2.7 crop and as long as I don't shoot over 800 ISO the images are nice. It's small with the same tripod that you use and fits in a small bag.

It's always a trade off between size and weight and active sport be it a walk to cycling. I like the V1 as it has a fast auto focus and can shoot very fast with full resolution.

I carry it in a smock military bag of some sort ( I suspect medical ) that's has a couple pouches to hold Lens and spare batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hiked 6.6 miles over the weekend, with the Lowepro sling bag holding the X-T1 + XF 18-55, a Vivitar 70-150, X30, and an Olympus 35RC film camera. Sounds like a lot, but I barely noticed the bag. It was quite comfortable to carry.

Probably a bit late (since you've already found a working solution :) )... my preferred "camera carrier" for the last two years is Mindshift Gears 'Ultralight Camera Cover'.
It's like a cloth holster with integrated belt. Very thin and light - and since it's not padded (like regular holsters) it wraps nicely around the camera and is only ever as big as the camera/lens combo inside.
For an additional lens you can add a lens pouch to the integrated belt. But for more additional stuff I carry a Hubba Hubba Hiney on a separate, sturdier belt (I wish someone made a holster like the Ultralight Camera Cover without integrated belt - then I could add that onto my bigger belt... But it still works fine the way it is...)

Back