Hired a big bad camera for the day

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by Boid, May 14, 2013.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I hired a Nikon D800 for a couple of days to try and figure out for myself what the fuss was about.

It was everything I expected it would be.

Big, ungainly, and frankly not something I see myself lugging around at all.

But then it did something that I didn't quite expect.

Here's what it did -

I underexposed this image till I could barely make out any details in the shot
    [​IMG]

Then I just dragged a slider and this showed up

2. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    That's very good
    In fairness though I've had similar surprises off my F660EXR but probably not as clear

3. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Next time don't underexpose.

The FF cameras are wonderful beasts, allowing non-pro-photographers to attain pro-quality results and pro-photographers to attain pro-quality results without pro-quality attention to silly details (like exposure).

In all honesty, what do you think of the camera/files/images?

Gary

4. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    So does every underexposed shot from the D800 contain secret hot sauce?

5. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    This image was underexposed to this degree on purpose of course. To test what I could pull in post.

The files are HUGE to work with. Photoshop was putting out tiff file size of 150+mb. The RAW files from SOOC were at 70+ mb.

I enjoyed working on the files in post though. There was a lot of latitude. Especially colour information and the amount I could push it around.

Even in very uneven lighting I could pull out a clean edit.

However, if I get this camera, I will need to update my computer. No question about it. Having multiple files open are not an option on my current setup.

6. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    It sure looks like it.

I have pushed around underexposed files before. But I haven't worked with a camera that didn't introduce weird artifacts and noise while editing to these extremes. It was a first for me.

7. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
  8. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Doesn't the K5 have a Sony sensor as well?

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think all the cameras are getting better in that regard. Forum member Livnius posted a shot on flickr last week from his X100s that just blew me away. There were some areas that were buried in shadow...they looked like they were at true black. Then he showed what he turned it into in post. If you click through to his photostream, you can see the before and after here...... Fuji X100s DR test (out of camera) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    So now we just need a Nikon Coolpix B with the D800(E) sensor and a brilliant 28mm f2.8 lens :smile:
    I'll even allow for it to be a fraction larger than the Coolpix A!

11. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Holy hell, that's crazy.

12. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    "B" for Bigger 'n' Better

13. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Of course ... all in the name of science. lol

14. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Yes it does and I have had similar experiences with my Pentax K5 ... it is jaw dropping wat can be done with that sensor - I've had parts of an image that look almost jet black , slid the slider and detail pops out and still pretty clean.. it is a very impressive sensor