How do you decide on pricing, when you sell?

I usually study used prices and then price my items REALLY competitively. I like my items to go fast.

I'm the same way...I just don't like quibbling over that last $50.00 when selling a 1,500.00 camera...i'd rather have it be gone in one day and give up the cash than have to relist it 3 times to get it sold.

Thanks, all.

Gumtree is a good market at times. I recently tried to sell my Pentax DA15mm on there. There was one person who wanted it, and mine was the only one available in that market. Plenty coming from overseas. I priced it $100 under the cheapest new one I could find, which actually placed it at about $250 less than new Australian stock, and still, the fellow wanted me to reduce the price further. I'm finding, increasingly, that people do not want to pay an even slightly fair price, everyone wants something for almost nothing. The DA15 is a stellar lens, and mine is in near new condition, having only been used maybe half a dozen times... I'd rather keep it, if people wont pay a reasonable price. Or, perhaps, I need to review my attitude to ebay.

I've been selling on ebay for over twelve years and I've never once had an issue with a pickup. Delivery yes, because Aus Post will not do a fragile service and do not treat parcels gently. I've used a courier service before with cameras (I had a lot of film cameras at one stage I sold through ebay) and they were OK but I do have trust issues and would rather a personal pickup. The money is always paid up in front and I used to meet the person at a mutually agreed venue if they wanted. I've always got great prices on ebay.

The buyer for your Pentax sounds like a tool, Sue. I wouldn't sell it to him on principle! :D

I've been selling on ebay for over twelve years and I've never once had an issue with a pickup. Delivery yes, because Aus Post will not do a fragile service and do not treat parcels gently. I've used a courier service before with cameras (I had a lot of film cameras at one stage I sold through ebay) and they were OK but I do have trust issues and would rather a personal pickup. The money is always paid up in front and I used to meet the person at a mutually agreed venue if they wanted. I've always got great prices on ebay.

The buyer for your Pentax sounds like a tool, Sue. I wouldn't sell it to him on principle! :D

LOL, I pulled all my lenses from gumtree after that. He even came back with a different id and the same argument later. I wondered if he was copy-pasting his enquiry to everyone that had any camera gear up for sale.

Totally paralyzed about selling on ebay.
Likewise. Just cannot bring myself to do it, and its not just about the fees (though that plays a part) but also about whether people are trustworthy. With ebay there is a greater risk. You think you are safe because of paypal, but heres the thing. what if someone claims you sent them something different, broken etc etc... and you know you did not. The claim will almost always go in favour of the buyer... and even if you managed to get them to send the goods back... what if they sent their broken goods (not what *you* sent), kept yours, *and* got a refund. I quote this instance because it happened to someone in another forum I hang out in (not photog specific) and that scared me enough to scare me right off.

Pretty sure gumtree is not restricted to Aus and the UK... Kristen you might want to try that? Christina, also. The principle is that you are *supposed* to sell locally, which is why you specify where you are, and face to face. That way, there can be no doubt that the buyer and seller can be satisfied with the deal. I like it, when it works.

Yeah see I send them something in good condition and they say it was broken or something.. I just don't want to go there. I've used Craigslist before and did okay, sold some larger children's toys but the buyers came to pick up. Won't do that again. After the Craigslist attacks I really don't want to do anything in person again. Everything from knocking people out to take their stuff, even in a public place, to killing them, to rape. And I just looked, Gumtree is UK. I thought maybe if I do some smaller things on ebay that.. won't upset me too horribly if I lose out. You know stuff I normally donate, see what happens.

Yeah see I send them something in good condition and they say it was broken or something.. I just don't want to go there. I've used Craigslist before and did okay, sold some larger children's toys but the buyers came to pick up. Won't do that again. After the Craigslist attacks I really don't want to do anything in person again. Everything from knocking people out to take their stuff, even in a public place, to killing them, to rape. And I just looked, Gumtree is UK. I thought maybe if I do some smaller things on ebay that.. won't upset me too horribly if I lose out. You know stuff I normally donate, see what happens.

I've had good experiences with face to face. If I feel even slightly "off" I get a rather large neighbour gentleman to stand by, or I meet the person in a central location... but so far so good.

Let us know how you go with the ebay thing :)

Back