Ricoh How do you manually focus on GXR M Mount

petrushka1975

I use 28, 50 and 75mm Leica lenses with the GXR-M. I focus fine with the 50 and 75 (I use 4x magnification and no focus peaking on the read LCD). But with the 28, I have difficulty nailing focus and increasing to 8x or using the EVF don't help that much. There always seems to be a range where the subject is roughly in focus but it's hard to tell whether I'm hitting the perfect spot. Once I blow up the image I see that I can be off by some amount, say 1 foot.

How do focus your wide angle with the GXR-M? Do you use the LCD or do you simply zone focus?

Thanks.

It gets progressively harder the wider the angle of the lens. I can only suggest opening the aperture at its widest, and use focus assist mode 2.

I have the Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 super wide lens and precise focussing can only be acheived with the use of an external rangefinder (I use the Zeiss Ikon 425) mounted on the hotshoe with this lens. However, with the Voigtlander 25mm snapshot Skopar, I use the focus assist and it seems to be fine, but wideangle lenses have such an enormous DOF, you could use zone focussing.

I use the Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron. I have the VF-2 EVF on and can focus clearly with it. As a back up I have focus peaking at mode 1

I found out that you can change the setting of the Peripheral Illum (+3) to make the peek focusing white bolder even more visible when magnifying x8 and much more easier to nail down the focus even at F1.4 with Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 lens.

Back