1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How do you sharpen your images?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ghosthunter, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I read on another forum how people sharpen their images and a was surprised to see i have been doing it wrong all this time!! I always usually sharpen at the end of my processing THEN re size the image. Most others re size THEN sharpen using Unsharp Mask. I tried sharpening after I had re sized the image and i think it's a much better way to sharpen images.

Also a good thing to do is to sharpen just the in focus areas of an image leaving the bokeh smooth and silky.

Here is an example:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Andy, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about resizing. I convert my RAW files to DNG...do what I want to do and then I sharpen in Lightroom. :popcorm2: I export to Flickr via Lightroom and use the screen sharpening option...for print, which is way too rarely, I call Don.:biggrin:

3. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Resizing is reducing say a 4000 pixel wide image to a 1024pixel wide image for posting to the net etc.

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Always sharpen (if I am going to) after resizing. If you do it before, much of the sharpening you want gets lost in the resize. Hadn't thought to do selective sharpening before, how silly of me!! Works well in that example :)

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    For print only... I pre-sharpen in Nik Sharpener Pro. Then I process the image and the last step is sharpen in LR. I find LR sharpener to do a great job without artifacts.
    For screen, I sharpen at the last step.
    I don't make the best files ever for screen or web stuff like Flickr due to copyright issues.

I made a few 20 x 24" prints from the Nex and a 50 Lux.
    Tanya wanted to send some to her family in Russia.
    Man, It looked like I did them with a 4x5 Deardorff... Actually better.
    Resizing is also an issue. Years ago it was suggested to resize in 10% steps.
    I never saw a difference but it's supposed to be the right way...
    What do I know?

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I've never used Nik Sharpener Pro. Don, you and I need a workshop. Well, I need a workshop!

7. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Count me in........if you can pay for my air fare!! :biggrin:

8. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    No airfare needed if your on a Mac...

9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Excellent point!:th_salute:

10. jim_khoo

jim_khoo SC Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    thank you ghost...
    now i have re-do my photos.:frown:

11. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Jimmy,
    I suggest you do a single image both ways and compare the results.
    You may find that there isn't that much of a difference but then again....

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I'd suggest that your resizing method will also have a big influence on the appearance of a reduced image. Try using the different bilinear and bicubic methods and compare the results that each gives.

13. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I have a MAC!! Whoop!

• Like Like x 1
  14. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Okay, I'm thoroughly lost now! If I export from LR, resizing to 1024, then surely I would have to import it back to LR from my desktop file to sharpen in LR? Please explain for the dim witted :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  15. christilou

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Another question, people are always talking about unsharp mask. What is it exactly?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    You can set sharpening on export in Lightroom via the export window. This will sharpen your images at 1024 or whatever size you set. So go to File / Export and just below the Image Sizing bit there should be one saying Output Sharpening. Use the one that suites you. I prefer to import into PS Elements as i like the unsharp mask.

Here's an explanation on Unsharp Mask: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsharp_masking

• Like Like x 1
  17. christilou

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Okay, thanks. I have this part set to "sharpen for screen". Is that all that's required then? BTW, thanks for the link, bookmarked! Really useful info here :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I tried it briefly but sharpening after resizing didn't appear to make any noticable difference compared to sharpening the full size image as I would anyway and then using the bicubic resizing method optimized for reducing image size in Photoshop.

19. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    At the end of the day it's what works best for you so try different things and see what works. It's all good fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Yup, good point. If everyone here thought the same cameras, lenses, pp methods, etc. worked best for them, there'd very quickly be nothing less to discuss.