How many cameras do you currently own?

There must be something wrong with me, I only have one and only want one! Panny GX1 and three lenses.
I am sometimes tempted by a small pocket camera, though the quality of the one on the phone is good enough for the times I'm not carrying the GX1. I find it's sometimes good discipline to work with less than ideal equipment, when using the phone. The GX1 is better than me, when I find it can't do something I want to I may add something that can, though I think I'm more likely to replace, I expect that time is a long way off.
The other thing is it takes me ages to learn the controls, after a year of frequent use, I'm only just able to change settings without looking or thinking about it. Do people get to that point with multiple cameras? I know I wouldn't.

Digilux!! Is that the one with an EVF and a fast zoom lens?

that's the Digilux 2. The Digilux 1 is a boxy one with a tiny tunnel like OVF, a fast lens, and a sensor that leads to water coloring when viewed 100%. I still like that one a lot. I took it on a trip to Kenya and Tanzania in 2003 and had tons of fun.

i-RwKfNS9-L.jpg

I thought you had the X100?
Sold it just before I got the S.Now looking at almost new Black X100 on Amazon.They had a bunch last week for under $750.Thank goodness they sold them all before I could make up my mind.I know it doesn't make sense! I do love this camera though and there is something about the original I haven't been able to duplicate with the new one yet.

Sold it just before I got the S.Now looking at almost new Black X100 on Amazon.They had a bunch last week for under $750.Thank goodness they sold them all before I could make up my mind.I know it doesn't make sense! I do love this camera though and there is something about the original I haven't been able to duplicate with the new one yet.

It might just be me. But to my pixel peeping eyes, the original's files seem a little sharper.

$750 for the black ... I gotta keep my eye open for that. The black is nicer looking!

Technically Three.

A Fuji STX1 35mm & some lenses but meter doesn't work so its never used. Hanging on to the lenses in case they fit another camera.

A Nikon Coolpix E3200 bought in 2005 this was replaced by a FujiF660EXR bought just after xmas this year

I almost picked-up a black X-E1. I think I should have. Working two cameras, XP1 and X100S at the Getty, (a slow moving no pressure scenario), yesterday, was okay, but I think two interchangeable lens cameras would be preferable. Just designate the X100S to everyday type stuff.

Gary

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with collecting cameras, but have you people figured out how to use more than one at a time?

Oh sure. Anytime I'm seriously taking pictures I have at least two bodies on me, saving me the trouble of changing lenses as often. Or sometimes the OM-D with a prime and then the X20 for eventualities that don't fit that focal length. I do, however, often walk with one camera and a fixed prime.

So after selling a couple last month, what gets used is:

2 Olympus 35mm OM bodies (OM-1, OM-10)
2 Olympus XA's and one XA-1
Leica IIIb
Bessa R
Hasselblad 500CM
Fuji GS645S
Olympus E-M5
Fuji X20

That's only 12, along with various lenses that go with them.

Then I have a Minolta STR, and a couple of Kodak Brownie box cameras. For an old guy that's been doing this for a while, I think that's pretty moderate. It helps that I usually have to sell things to upgrade; otherwise I'd really be in trouble.

It might just be me. But to my pixel peeping eyes, the original's files seem a little sharper.

$750 for the black ... I gotta keep my eye open for that. The black is nicer looking!

It seems the opposite for me.The new one seems sharper!So far, I haven't been able to replicate the colors of the original.Also, the old one seemed to handle flare better,meaning it rendered it nicer.I really learned to love using flare as an artistic tool with my X.

I almost picked-up a black X-E1. I think I should have. Working two cameras, XP1 and X100S at the Getty, (a slow moving no pressure scenario), yesterday, was okay, but I think two interchangeable lens cameras would be preferable. Just designate the X100S to everyday type stuff.

Gary

I know you had the Xe1 first.Maybe not long enough to judge?I almost did that with my 0-MD.The X100 is definitely limiting.Part of it's charm.Played with the Xe1 yesterday at the shop.Smaller than I expected.Really,really nice and beautiful in black.I got to thinking about how much it would cost to buy the whole lens line, and started figuring up what I've spent on my M4/3 lenses, and scared myself.One here. one there, next thing you know,you've got to put off retiring for another five years!

I know you had the Xe1 first.Maybe not long enough to judge?I almost did that with my 0-MD.The X100 is definitely limiting.Part of it's charm.Played with the Xe1 yesterday at the shop.Smaller than I expected.Really,really nice and beautiful in black.I got to thinking about how much it would cost to buy the whole lens line, and started figuring up what I've spent on my M4/3 lenses, and scared myself.One here. one there, next thing you know,you've got to put off retiring for another five years!

I've never owned an X-E1. I'm sorta holding out for the X-Pro2. On the flip side ... with all those lenses, now you'll have a reason to retire ...

-G-

I have four, an OMD (several lenses), an X-Pro (2 lenses but will probably end up with 3-4), an X10, and a GRD3. I should probably sell the GRD3 based on how little use it currently gets, but I don't think I'd get enough for it to justify selling it and its such a fun camera to shoot with that sometimes I enjoy taking it out anyway. And its small, so I'll likely have it a long time. But something from the Fuji family, something in the m43 line, and a nice compact seems like the right fit for me - I could see staying with this basic lineup for a good long while, with an occasional body upgrade it there are any worthwhile improvements. Hard to see where the X-Pro or OMD really could improve in ways that would be meaningful to me, though...

And the iPhone camera which I occasionally pull out, but VERY occasionally. There's also an RX100 in the family but its most decidedly NOT mine any longer. Gave it to my wife a few days ago, she loves it, its hers. Not a good fit for me, but perfect for her...

-Ray
I guess its time to update as this has come around again. At this point I still have the OMD but far fewer lenses - I added an EPL5 body in there for a while but that's gone now too - m43 is mostly for longer lenses now, with the 12mm being the one long-term hold out at the wider end. I still have the X-Pro and have added the 14mm lens. I sold the GRD3 and bought a GXR28 (well used). The X10 is gone and has been replaced by an LX7. And I've also just added an RX1, which has taken over "mind-boggling camera of the quarter" designation and promises to hold it for more than a quarter. Before summer I'll no doubt add either the Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A - for me, in particular, NOT to own one of these awesome new little pocketable fixed lens 28mm fixed lens marvels would be something like a crime against nature. I suspect I'll go long periods and shoot with nothing else because either of these cameras would be so totally in my wheelhouse. The only question is which - I know I love the Nikon A and I'm extremely confident I'll love the GR, there are just a couple of features and performance parameters that I'm gonna compare side by side before I make a decision. I should sell the GXR28, but I didn't pay much for it and they've seemingly been discontinued and dumped at really low new prices, so I doubt there's much point in selling it. It may become my first "collectible" - I won't really have any use for it, but I love that camera and if its sitting on my shelf, I'll probably pick it up from time to time just because it feels so good in the hand and its got a nice focus ring in addition to snap focus, which is one thing the GR won't have. But who knows, if somebody wants it and promises to give it a good home and actually use it, I'll probably let it go for a very small sum. But I guess I'll be up to five cameras if I sell that, six if I don't. Plus the emergency only iPhone camera...

-Ray

After two ex wives I passed a resolution to simplify my life. This suits me well for I am an introvert. Dp2m. Wabi sabi rules ok.

Those of you with more than one system seem to me as heroes. Gimme a hair shirt and monk's cassock & the life contemplative.

I looked at my earlier post in this thread and how times have changed. The only current camera listed is (ta da) the Pentax Q. Everything else is gone and I now have (in addition to the Q) an E-PL5 and EOS M. The poor G3 got bought and sold between posts. The moral is the Q rules! Unless I decide to switch to a Q7 . . .

The moral is the Q rules! Unless I decide to switch to a Q7 . . .
:rofl: Well said, Steve!

When I'm away from SC and the FujiXspot, I'm happy with what I have (X100 and X10) but when I come on and see some of the new stuff, I need to reach for some

welding-gas-control.jpg

I'm pretty conservative by comparison with you lot! 1x DSLR, 1x x100, 1x panasonic bridge camera, 1x elderly Olympus bridge camera, 2x compacts.

Not quite a year since my post, but I should elucidate on the compacts.. a Ricoh GRDIII and an Olympus XZ-1. I've only added one camera to the collection since then, that being the Nikon 1 J1. Didnt mention the film cameras though: one Zeiss Ikonta with a 43mm lens on bellows (i think the camera is around a 1939 vintage), a Kodak Instamatic 105, a Pentax Espio 738 with 3x zoom, and a Minolta SRT303b SLR :)

Back