Sigma How many DP Merrills?

Dp1m and dp2m plus a sd1m, three Merrill's for me..

Plus one on the gw3.. I use it on the dp1m. I have compared the results using it on the dp1m, dp2m, and Ricoh gr. The best results were on the dp1m by a long shot. The dp2m has a focus error when using the gw3. The work around is to focus w/o it and then put the adapter on. I also checked it against my 10-20 zoom on the sd1m and it beat that as well.. There is something to be said about a dedicated lens to sensor combo. There is only a slight degrade w/ the gw3 attached.

I am thinking about picking up a dp2 Quattro when they finally start shipping them.

Gary

I am thinking about picking up a dp2 Quattro when they finally start shipping them.

Gary

It would be nice to know the approximate price of the Quattro. Or should I get the existing DP2 m while there are still new ones around at the discounted price.
I must say, these cameras are worth having.

It would be nice to know the approximate price of the Quattro. Or should I get the existing DP2 m while there are still new ones around at the discounted price.

I have the same problem deciding on the DP3M or Quattro 3. Better dynamic range, faster af and write times would be a plus but i wonder about IQ/color range with lower 4mpx on sensor

No price announce, but my guess is less than 1000 dollars. Could in the price range of where the dp Merrill was initially? The dp Merrill prices in Europe are just a plain bargain. In the US, they are still at 899 last I looked about 2weeks ago. I plan to keep my dp2m even after I get the dp2q because I suspect that the change may also bring a change in overall color or look.. If one stop better iso for color is important to u then maybe the Quattro is the better choice. The jury will be out on the Quattro for a bit.

Gary

I have the same problem deciding on the DP3M or Quattro 3. Better dynamic range, faster af and write times would be a plus but i wonder about IQ/color range with lower 4mpx on sensor

From what I have been able to figure out..

It appears that at least both the Merrill and Quattro are using the top layer not only as the blue channel but the luminous as well.. There is a certain amount of info related to the other two color channels (red and green) that the luminous is picking up. What that percentage is, only Sigma knows.

If that is true, then the overall resolution should go up from 15 to 19.5 million photo cell sites. But since the other two colors are now represent by a ratio of 4:1 less as compared to the blue/luminous channel, color accuracy at the specific pixel level could suffer.. In real life, right now I don't think it will be noticeable, if the algo for adjacent color info works as well as Sigma hopes.

Anyway just some guessing on my part. For me, it will be more of if I just like the colors from the new Quattro. Back in the day of color film and slides, we all had our favorites, but could anyone really say it was accurate? Mine was Kodachrome btw.

Monochrome on the Quattro should be much better than the Merrill cameras IMHO. Could even be as good as the Leica monochrom :).

I tend to use the dp series for b&w more than color and the sd series more for color.

Gary

With the current awesome pricing on the Merrills I've just bought a DP3M.
Yes, its the eve of the Quattros about to be released but taking the already great IQ and price of the DP3 I could not pass on ordering one.
I am a tad concerned about the size of the Quattros too, not at all worried about the shape - I think something different is welcome.

I am betting the DP2Q will be the only Quattro for a while anyway and I was more likely to go a DP1 or DP2 in a Quattro so the DP3M seemed a no brainer for me.
I am looking forward to have a bit of a short tele view for a change. My GR will accompany it though as it does always with the DP2M.

So you can count me two Merrills and one original DP.

Just the original DP2 and that's it. A bit limiting, particularly in low light, but you learn to work with it.
Recent Merrill price drop has finally convinced me to upgrade after four and a half years with the DP2 and a DP2M is due in a few weeks.
Looking forward to a new learning curve.
Agonised about keeping DP2 and getting either 1M or 3M to supplement it, but figured that I'd always tend to the higher quality output and DP2 would just be along for the ride.
As I want to stick with 1 camera, upgrading the 2 seemed the best option.
Figs

I've got all three of them. The 1M and 3M were purchased used from the same person and I added the 2M shortly thereafter. I'm knee deep into the Fuji X system and I find that the Sigmas are complimentary to the Fuji but different enough to keep me on my toes. The Fuji's are workmanlike, very useable at high asa's and okay for action work. The Sigma cameras are more like using a medium format camera. Very deliberate and slow but worth it when you get to the picture part. I told someone that it was a very good lens in front of a very good sensor but not a lot of fluff in between.

I have had the Sigma DP2M for about two years and just got my Sigma DP3M today. I also had the DP1M on order but canceled it out due to spending too much. The prices were right and I kick myself though. I want all three. Is that so wrong? LOL! I have a love/hate relationship with these cameras too, but for some reason I am mesmerized at the files when they come out right. The colors may not be the best at times, (my fault), but I absolutely love the B&W files. I've had many, many cameras and only liked B&W from a few of them. (Leica M6, which is a film camera, Nikon FM2, Canon AE-1, also film cameras, Leica M8.2, Leica D-Lux 4, Fuji x20-too many to list!). All of those produce lovely B&W images. Even my Sony NEX 6 does, but the Sigma beats them all except the film cameras IMHO.) I don't know what it is about these cameras. I think it's because nothing else looks like the files. Every camera sensor combination has its own flavor, some I like, and others I don't. Sometimes many of the files look the same. I find that boring. I think the Foveon is unique in its look, and I like that look quite a lot.

Just bought a DP3M, used, off this forum - haven't got my hands on it yet as it was delivered to my son in the UK - back for Xmas so will give it a go!

Back