Sony How the RX1 has made me a better photographer...

It's a very nice article. Some rambling thoughts:

I found myself thinking about a similar camera that I have, the much maligned EOS M. With the 22mm f2 lens, it has a similar size and FL to the RX1, and although not FF I'm not nearly a good enough photographer to blame the 18 MP APS-C sensor of the M.:) There is definitely a mental focus you get when you just have a single FL and it makes for as pleasant day of photography. I find I take the M when I just want to walk around and shoot and the EM5 when I'm there to take photos of something specific. I guess we all face this Zen vs. capabilities decision. This really hit home when I went to Disneyworld in November. My EM5 was in the shop so I took the M. I enjoyed my photography experience but there were many times I saw a shot that I just couldn't get. I wasn't bothered by this since I was just trying to get some good images and not document the trip. I truly enjoy the M and would love to take it around an urban environment .

yup. and i believe this present crop of fixed lens cams, starting with the x100, offer more than even many users think. if you need wider, many situations can be accomodated through use of pano mode; if need closer, the accuity and resolution of lens & sensor can accomodate some serious cropping. i feel like im walking out with a 21-90 zoom, and i use it like that.

Back