Guide How to Post Images in Forum Threads

Amin

Hall of Famer
The easiest method, which works from any device:

1) Either drag the image(s) to your message or use the "Upload a Photo" button to select your image(s).

2) Use the appropriate "Click Here to Insert Image into Post" depending on whether you want to insert all images or one image into your message.

The other methods mentioned in that other thread will still work. Images greater than 1600px will be automatically resized.

If your image is already hosted (uploaded) elsewhere on the web and you know the URL for the image, you can click on the Image button while making a post, paste your image URL into the space provided, and click "Insert".

Another way to post images if you know the URL is to type IMG tags around your URL like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.example.com/image.jpg[/img]

If I know I am going to post 6 images in a thread, I type:

Code:
[img][/img]

and then copy/paste it 5 times to get:

Code:
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

... and then paste my image URLs into the 6 locations.

Many image hosting services including Flickr will provide you with BBcode for posting your images on sites like this. That BBcode can be copied and pasted in its entirety directly into your forum post where you want the image to appear without using the Image button and without using additional IMG tags.

Regardless of which method you use, images greater than 1600px in maximum dimension will automatically be resized.

Last edited:
I noticed my 640 kB image got resized (and recompressed). Is the cutoff size 500 kB when the site doesn't touch my jpeg?
Can you point me in the direction of the image in question? A 640kb image, to be frank, is tiny versus some of the images that people post and is far below the physical file size limits that might get hit. Depending on the image, though, you may have run into a resolution limit. I think, without looking at the settings, that the current settings are a max resolution of 1300x1300 so anything wider/higher than that would end up getting resized no matter what the physical file size is.

On the topic of compression in general, until the end of November all images uploaded were being compressed to save drive space. The resolutions would've stayed the same but the images themselves would've been compressed. After the change of ownership, and moving the site to new servers, I have the 'compress everything' settings turned off but it may return after we upgrade the forum software.

Can you point me in the direction of the image in question? A 640kb image, to be frank, is tiny versus some of the images that people post and is far below the physical file size limits that might get hit. Depending on the image, though, you may have run into a resolution limit. I think, without looking at the settings, that the current settings are a max resolution of 1300x1300 so anything wider/higher than that would end up getting resized no matter what the physical file size is.

On the topic of compression in general, until the end of November all images uploaded were being compressed to save drive space. The resolutions would've stayed the same but the images themselves would've been compressed. After the change of ownership, and moving the site to new servers, I have the 'compress everything' settings turned off but it may return after we upgrade the forum software.
I uploaded one in the "Red" thread but seeing how bad the JPEG compression was on it, I reuploaded a smaller one myself.

I think I hit the resolution limits, I made a smaller version which went in without seemingly being recompressed.

Because the forum software does a good job showing large images within the post widths (allowing anyone to peep by clicking on a pic) I think a file size limit makes more sense than a dimensional limit...

I'm new to the site. I'm guessing it's customary to add basic EXIF to images posted. However, I couldn't immediately see how to do that.

I'm new to the site. I'm guessing it's customary to add basic EXIF to images posted. However, I couldn't immediately see how to do that.
If your image contains EXIF data (i.e. it hasn't been stripped out by you, your image processing software, or your software - e.g. "Save for the web" is often a culprit), the forum software automatically extracts it and posts the basic info under your image.

If you are a subscriber (cheap as chips!), there will be a small icon to the right of the EXIF data, a small circle with an "i" inside it. This will display all embedded EXIF data. A bit like this ℹ️ , but circular, with a clear background.

Thanks! Sounds easy. I tried to post an image before but didn't see any EXIF come up but that might be because I hadn't completed the post. I normally export jpegs out of LrC, then import them wherever. The EXIF is definitely there.
On another issue, what is the policy of adding a copyright symbol and/or name?

Thanks! Sounds easy. I tried to post an image before but didn't see any EXIF come up but that might be because I hadn't completed the post. I normally export jpegs out of LrC, then import them wherever. The EXIF is definitely there.
On another issue, what is the policy of adding a copyright symbol and/or name?
I add my copyright notice via Snapseed or Photoshop Express if using my tablet, or a Photoshop Action (macro) if using my PC.

@Kevin (the owner of the site) specifically changed the forum rules after Vertical Scope bought MU-43.com, such that our copyright always remains the sole property of the original copyright owner.

At MU-43.com, Vertical Scope has purported to grant themselves co-ownership of posters' copyright images. Read their terms of service VERY carefully.

(Kevin) changed the forum rules after Vertical Scope bought MU-43.com, such that our copyright always remains the sole property of the original copyright owner.

At MU-43.com, Vertical Scope has purported to grant themselves co-ownership of posters' copyright images. Read their terms of service VERY carefully.
Amen and thank you @Kevin. This is exactly the reason I migrated to this wonderful forum from another VS buyout a year or so ago

Just testing how it will show up just using thumbnail images. I've been wondering to place only thumbnails to smoothen mobile browsing experience.
But what do you fellow forum members think? Is it a good idea? Is it always needed to be full blown image on the threads?

EDIT: Actually correction, mobile experience IS good, pictures are scaled down and easy to browse. But, what I thought originally came to me when I'm browsing images and "jumping" up and down when large images don't show up at once on the browser (Safari) and screen.

Attachments

• 2023-10-21_142711.jpeg
    2023-10-21_142711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Just testing how it will show up just using thumbnail images. I've been wondering to place only thumbnails to smoothen mobile browsing experience.
But what do you fellow forum members think? Is it a good idea? Is it always needed to be full blown image on the threads?

EDIT: Actually correction, mobile experience IS good, pictures are scaled down and easy to browse. But, what I thought originally came to me when I'm browsing images and "jumping" up and down when large images don't show up at once on the browser (Safari) and screen.
Agree on full size.
Irene's comment re exif is important IMO

I'll be frank: I don't click on thumbnails. The jumping back and forth that ensues totally kills the flow I'm partial to when using the forum.

The only exception: New members trying their hand at the forum software for the first time. I'll try to help in such a case - to post full size images.

M.

Back