1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How's your computer doing?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    My computer was hidden by malware gen. Under investigation at Avast forum(s).
    Because of corrupt zip archive I removed android-sdk from my computer (1.04 Gbyte).
    Which tools do you use for cleaning and checking the pc?

Regards, Herman

2. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    Malwarebyte's Anti Malware is probably the best regarded spyware killer.
    I use the free version to back up Norton Internet Security and Super AntiSpyware.

Never been that impressed with the free Anti Virus programs like Avast or AVG. Can't say that I like Eset or Mcafee stuff either but Kaspersky seems good and I used it for a while.

Registry/System Cleaners are all a nightmare best used very carefully.
    On this machine I have Registry First Aid ,Wise and Advanced System Care...none recommended as they can all get things wrong.
    Since my first computer in 1980 , I've never found a system cleaning program that eventually didn't cause as many problems as it solved.

3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I have many lines of defence: avast antivir and comodo firewall up-front, Malwarebyte's Anti Malware and Super AntiSpyware out behind, also use Glary and CCleaner to keep things in order. So far so good. Well for this old PC anyways.

Having said all that, my PCs are all rubbish and slow - the only time they will not be is when they sail across the lounge room once the frustration of their utter lethargy or perpetual state of meditation does my head in! :dash2: A Macbook Air is on the cards me thinks.

Best of luck with your casualty Herman

4. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  5. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    On balance, I think that SuperAntiSpyware probably wins, in my experience. Malwarebytes and Spybot would be worth considering too.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Gee I'm glad I dont have a Windows based system anymore.

7. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Me too :biggrin:

8. hannahntilly

hannahntilly SC Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Peter
    Do you think that Macs are somehow not subject to malware?

9. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    No . But I can't see anything. The iMac works faultlessly . I never get messages like , this program is not responding.
    It may have some bugs but its not affecting anything I do on it .
    I don't even know what malware is .
    I am an ostrich .

10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have all Macs now. No, they're not malware proof but criminals are essentially lazy by nature. That's why they write most malware for PCs - that's where most of the action still is. Also, Mac OS, being Unix based, generally doesn't allow downloads without your active permission. Granted, a Trojan horse posing as a different program might be able to fool you. But I don't believe I've been exposed to any of those. I protected the last PC I owned with Kaspersky, which seemed to work very well but could be a bit intrusive at times.

11. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    I run Windows and MAc machines side by side. None have any issues that I'm aware of. I have MS security essentials on my Windows machines and run Anti MAlware occasionally. I did a totally clean install on my MAcBook about a month ago as it was getting stupidly slow. It's much improved but I still get the spinning beach ball more than I'd like. The only hangs I'm getting on Windows is a weird **** hang occasionally on one machine.

All computers are evil.

Gordon

It appears J A V A is an evil word. That explains a lot.

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Nope. But the sheer quantity of crap thats out there for PC means Mac is still safer. And, Apple is pretty quick to patch holes. I think there's been three in the last couple of years.

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I sometimes run an antivirus/antimalware prog on the mac... the signatures are all for PC. From time to time they find something in email which doesnt affect me, but would affect an unprotected Windows user. I used to have one running all the time but in recent years my PC using friends have finally got with the program and don't leave themselves unprotected.