I didn't need a K5 and I also didn't need a 40mm lens.....

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by Luke, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    but that didn't stop me from buying this........ http://www.ebay.com/itm/331595689659?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It only has 11 shutter actuations!!

So now I need to sell off another camera. Of course, the other problem this has created is that now I'll be adding the word "silver" to my Pentax queries.....LOL. This wouldn;t have happened if I had given in to the urge to buy the Smurf I saw the other day. http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...rs-set-pentax-k10-k20-k7-k5-k01-limiteds.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    You can't keep away from Pentax, it seems...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That's a smokin' deal. Welcome back to the fold, Luke. You realize that you don't really have to sell off another camera, right? And start working on a DA 21 next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke

I'm going to to try to avoid the Pentax Prime LBA that seems so rampant.

I almost always just grab my Fuji X100. It's a camera that I've really bonded with. So the Pentax will fill all the other "wants" in my photography......tele, mid-tele and macro. So for now, I'll probably skip that DA21mm and look for a decent superzoom. The newest Sigma 18-250 macro looks like a solid performer for the money.

5. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    I've been happy with the Pentax 55-300 FWIW.

And you know, after getting a tele, a Q with K-mount adapter is the next logical step to get 4.7x and 5.4x crop factor....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've seen some remarkable shots from the 55-300. I'm really hoping I can have an all-in-one solution that is "good enough". I can trade the last bit of reach for the ease of not needing to change lenses and having 18-55 covered with the same lens.

And my fear of becoming a gear hoarder will definitely over-ride my Q curiosity.

7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's Qriosity. :biggrin: Nice acquisition, BTW. I always wanted the silver K5.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. NickLarsson

NickLarsson SC Veteran

Jun 24, 2013
    Paris, France
    I would recommend the DA15 instead.

I'm currently considering selling my Pentax kit, and I'm thinking of keeping a body just for THIS lens.

I don't know, I find there is something special with its rendering and that 22.5mm-equivalent FOV. I also have the Ricoh GW-3 21mm adapter for my GR and it's just not the same (and there is more distortion).

9. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Luke, just an honest suggestion here: You have a weather-resistant body in the K5. The DA 55-300 HD WR is now on sale at B&H for $339.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008125-REG/pentax_hd_pentax_da_55_300mm_f_4_5_8.html

That would give you a full WR set up if you ever need it. Meanwhile, I have the Pentax-branded 18-250. No WR, but it is a very useful lens that can give surprising results. I keep reconsidering my Pentax kit. But, somehow, it keeps hanging in there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Likewise. There's just something about Pentax. I now have two WR bodies again, of course, the old K200D and the K5. I just can't seem to leave it alone :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Are you sure? Luke, come over to the Q side...

16068437813_d8493ba6ab_c. Great Blue Heron by John Flores, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    you're a bad man, John M. Flores.

*returns to (and ramps up) listing rare records on eBay to justify ridiculous camera purchases*

• Like Like x 3
  13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Justification? Who needs justification? I just need money for my gear hoarding tendencies. Lets see... currently on my list....

FZ1000 *and* FZ200
    LZ100
    Fuji X30
    P610

and then of course, after saying I wanted to dump the Nikon 1 stuff...
    J5.

Madness. But we all have it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The dollar must be strong against the yen right now. I really need to stay away from eBay.

*clears browsing history before wife comes into the room*

"No honey, that box with the customs form on it has been downstairs for years."

15. marlof

marlof Trying to focus

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    I have a few obsessions: buying cameras, lenses and camera bags. I hide my cameras and lenses in the camera bags, so I'll only have to admit to those. In these digital times where depreciations sets in fast for people like me who like to use things for longer periods of time, things are getting out of hand since I can not be bothered with reselling items for only little money. Now I have a set (ready to go in one of my messenger style bags of course) with small lenses, a set (ready to go in a backpack style bag) with zoom lenses and the LX100 that can hide in my office bag. The rest of my bags are like Russian Matryoshka dolls: the smaller hide in the bigger bags. Then there's the library graveyard, where my favorite old gear gets to go to be remembered. Less favorite old gear gets given away to my relatives. Who adore me.

• Like Like x 5
  16. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This is so sad except for the parts that I do as well. Well, I guess it's not really that sad. :redface:

17. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

If I haven't been through the boxes for a long time, it's a treasure hunt! Batteries, cables, flash units, bags - lots of bags .... can't find my favorite green Billingham - now that's sad.

18. marlof

marlof Trying to focus

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    I'm well aware of the sadness in my behavior. I guess at the root of this problem/fun is that for most of us, this is not about buying stuff we actually need. At least some of us have the guts to sell what they do not use a lot, and try something new. Others, like me, just keep stuff hanging around. Have fun with the K5, Luke!

19. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm one who keeps things.. just in case I might want to use them. There have been few cameras I have been able to let go :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It's an uncomfortable position to be aware of one's mental illness. At least it's just cameras, it's not like I'm Ed Gein.

• Like Like x 1