Pentax I didn't need a K5 and I also didn't need a 40mm lens.....

Buying stuff is another version of emotional overeating. We enjoy the changes in neural chemistry it brings about. There's an emotional high associated with browsing, the thrill of buying, the anticipation of arrival, the excitement of opening the box, the illicit pleasure of hiding it from your partner/spouse . . .

don't forget the crushing blow of being totally underwhelmed by your purchase and wishing you had never done it. Followed by the self-loathing of realizing you're trapped in a cycle that will never end. And the despair that no matter what you buy, it can never make you happy, but knowing full well that the buying will never stop.

That's where I'm at anyways.

I also know that the ice cream I'm going to go buy will not make me feel better......only fatter. And then I'll feel worse.

don't forget the crushing blow of being totally underwhelmed by your purchase and wishing you had never done it. Followed by the self-loathing of realizing you're trapped in a cycle that will never end. And the despair that no matter what you buy, it can never make you happy, but knowing full well that the buying will never stop.

That's where I'm at anyways.

I also know that the ice cream I'm going to go buy will not make me feel better......only fatter. And then I'll feel worse.

You should sell a camera and use the money to take a photography class. Or a photo excursion. Time and money better spent.

You should sell a camera and use the money to take a photography class. Or a photo excursion. Time and money better spent.

If I had a dollar for every time I read that tired old advice I'd have enough money to buy a nice lens and prop up my fast-sagging emotions for at least a few more days before finding the need to dive in to a vat of Almond Rocky Road...

If I had a dollar for every time I read that tired old advice I'd have enough money to buy a nice lens and prop up my fast-sagging emotions for at least a few more days before finding the need to dive in to a vat of Almond Rocky Road...

The truth hurts...until the UPS man arrives or the cold spoon hits the mouth.

The truth hurts...until the UPS man arrives or the cold spoon hits the mouth.
Oddly enough, a brown truck brought me some glass today, and I believe I have a big scoop of strawberry sorbet waiting for me in the freezer. I'm feeling pretty good. ;)

The camera actually motivates me to go out more, get into shape for longer hikes, lose some weight so I can carry gear instead (this works better in summer :) )
Been pretty good with the ice cream too this year (so far...) :)
(and yet, FedEx delivered a brown box on Monday... the latest Olympus refurbished 20% sale made me try the 12-40mm again... maybe I'll keep it this time :) )

I can't wait to see what you capture with that 12-40, Tilman.

New gear can definitely light a spark in a dull photographic marriage. I'm going to take a photo walk tomorrow morning with my newly arrived Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It's heavy enough that even if I don't bond with it right away, I may just carry it on my walks to help lose some weight (we need a chunky emoji with a camera around his neck!).

Sometimes it just helps to talk it out with like-minded souls (other sick individuals :hide:).

I'll share some images tomorrow...and hopefully I'll feel better at that point.

Last edited:
Apart from that new lens I have the resolution not to buy anything new this year :boohoo: :LOL:
Also trying to stop looking at camera news and review websites as often. And I've signed up for one of those online-training sites - trying to keep it interesting via new knowledge rather than new hardware...

I guess the trick is to change habits... I also have quite a few learning-books that I've never fully read. Will try to focus my time on that... There's also that Olympus manual that I still need to open... :)

But yeah, it definitely helps to talk to like-minded people!

Have fun on your photo-walk! Looking forward to your shared images!

I'm amazed that I can buy a camera online from Japan on Monday and there is a postman at my door at 9a.m. on Friday asking for my signature. There was just enough juice left for a quick test shot. Looks and feel great. No buyers remorse and definitely no ice cream today. Soon as the battery is fully charged, I'm heading out for some photography...something I haven't done explicitly in some time.

19392215199_8b5ae10d38_b.jpg
bear hunting
by Luke, on Flickr

I always liked the feel of the Pentax DSLR bodies. I was also fond of the older version DA 40, although it does look like you just have a camera with a body cap.

I always liked the feel of the Pentax DSLR bodies. I was also fond of the older version DA 40, although it does look like you just have a camera with a body cap.
Ever since reading Luke's first post, I've been hanging about at the Pentax Web Shop (online, Oz) looking to see if maybe I want to rebuy the FA43, or an FA77. Or perhaps the DA16-45 which has a good rep amongst Pentaxians, even though its now really old. Then again, theres that DA*55mm f/1.4.... and on it goes.

Sweet camera, Luke.

If I had one of those I would run (not walk) to find a DA21mm. One of the all-time great Pentax lenses.....hell, one of the all-time great lenses, period.

In fact, one could make an argument that one of the main reasons of buying a Pentax body is to be able to get that lens.

Good luck resisting the impulse ;)

Thanks guys, but I have that focal length covered (though not with that cute little prime). There's a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 on its' way here. The reviews say it's as sharp as a prime (and a few stops faster, to boot). I gotta hit the weight room and build up some muscles before it shows up..... 800 grams (just for the lens!)

Back