Fuji I found a great camera for my kids to use

Amin

Hall of Famer
I was waiting for waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof cameras to reach the sub-$150 mark before getting one for the kids, and the Fuji XP10 comes in at just over $100 at Amazon or B&H.

The XP10 is a great worry-free beach camera. It would really hurt if my GRD or GH2 were damaged by sand or stolen while I was swimming. At $100, I can live with the scratches, and taking underwater photos was a lot of fun. A few recent snaps from a family trip:

5487706474_16bf130266_b.jpg

5487707082_26bec49297_b.jpg

5487115573_561484e770_b.jpg

5487123649_b12be96c99_b.jpg

Battery life is pretty terrible, but I was able to live with it.

If anyone else has young kids who treat things roughly or is looking for an inexpensive option for the pool or beach, I highly recommend the XP10.

I haven't used it in low light but assumed that with a very small sensor, no image stabilization, non-speedy lens, and no RAW, it wasn't going to be very good for that.

As for the water sealing, I can only speak to my own experience, which was that it did great after 4 straight days of going into oceans. I was careful to check seals before going in the water as well as to rinse it with tap water at the end of each day.

THanks for sharing Amin. I'm in the same boat as you. My oldest has an SW850 that I bought used, but the video is bad (340X280), so I'm looking for a cheap upgrade. Just got an Oly tough 3000 (or something like that) but it was DOA!!! Her birthday is next week, so I'm still looking. That's a nice looking camera, but Bill's link to those comments does give me pause. Please post any updates you might have as you use the camera. I may get her something else for her birthday, and look to a new camera in the summer. I'd like to know your continued experience with this Fuji.

Back