I guess there is no "one system" for me

Nor me. If I were an absolutely rational human, I'd spend my hard earned dollars on lenses for the m4/3 system, my main system with the wonderful E-M5 as king of my kit, instead of going off on this and that tangent, duplicating focal lengths in other systems, the latest being ordering the Nikon V1, which will get here Monday, and a nice normal prime for it. I have more normal primes for various film and digital cameras than I need, strictly speaking. But using different cameras is part of the fun of it all for me at this stage.

In the old days I had one 35mm system, one 120 system, and one 4x5 system, and I never felt compelled to choose between them. Digitally, I'd love an M9; shooting rangefinders is just different than shooting slr's or mirrorless this or that. But I'd settle for an M8, and just might do so as they come down in price.

There are advantages too. One lens -- my OM zuiko 135mm, gives me the ff equivilent of 270 on my m4/3 cameras -- and it will give me a reach of 365 on the Nikon V1. And yes, I've already checked; there is an OM to Nikon cx mount adapter.

So, like Lucille, I'll keep buying them and keep using them -- at least for a while.

I'm not sure one would make sense. Focus by wire technique is a horrible experience on any camera and there would certainly be no manufacturer to make an adapter with electrical contacts to allow AF. And on top of that, I don't think m43 lenses would all necessarily cover the sensor.

Being cheap, I prefer not to spend a lot. Of course, this leads to spending more than I should as I buy/sell gear, so logically it's indefensible. But that's an aside.

I have been trying to find a way to limit the number of cameras I have. One reason is being cheap. The other is battery management (which drives me crazy) and the last reason is tyranny of choice. Sometimes I get bogged down with too many options.

Having shot Canon for a good long while (in and out of the Rebels and a 5D), then m43 and NEX. I have also rented to test, the XPro 1 and Nikon D700 (fantastic camera, the D700. One of the best shooting experiences I have ever had, but the thing is a brick!)

I think I'm coming to a conclusion: I will be unable to "standardize" on one system. There are so many strengths in each one, and so many lens/body combos, it's hard to just stick with one.

So, I'm thinking I'll run with:
  • 5D + 85/1.8 for portraits and 70-210 for zoom/action work, and I'm renting a 35/1.4 for Thanksgiving.
  • NEX 5n + CV40 for "normal" range, carry-around camera, though I'm still struggling bonding with this camera
  • m43 + P20 for square format B&W images. I just really love this combo.
  • RX100 for ultra portable pocket camera

That's about 2 more cameras than I wanted, but I don't really see any way around it. NEX AF is weak, so I can't go system on that one. 5D is wonderful, but awful big. The color palette of these two cameras is very different, too. m43 is good, but I always feel like I'm missing just a little more. RX100 is a great compact, but blows highlights too easily, so it's relegated to when I need to be as light as possible.

+1 on the D700. I've shot literally dozens of cameras in the past 10 years, including several pro DSLR bodies, and the D700 remains my standard for excellence in all areas. Alas, as you pointed it is a brick of a camera AND I've now become so addicted to full time exposure simulation (which allows me to shoot manual at all times and never worry about exposure ever again) that I just can't go back to a traditional DSLR. However, SLT techology from Sony looks amazing (but the available models so far don't make me drool, I wish they're release an XE-1 sized, RF shaped, SLT body with Alpha mount. I'd be ALL over that camera....).

LIke you I've shot DLSR, m4/3 and NEX, the latter fits my needs much better except AF is vastly inferior to the former, causing me to manual focus as well. This is making me daily a more skilled photographer, but I do ling for a more automated walk-around combo that I could carry and shoot without too much thought, yet having APS-C DOF control that is of parampint importance to me...

I guess I'd be ready to try Fuji at this point IF the XE-1 had focus peaking, which it doesn't. Until a camera is capable to having both peaking and 1:1 native shooting ratio (+ an APS-C chip), i'm sticking with my NEX 6, and only that.

: I guess there is no "one system" for me
That is why I invest in legacy lenses like Zeiss,... They keep their value (increase) and can be used on any body with adapter.
A body can be bought second hand or just after an new model arrives.

Back