1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I joined the RX100 club today!!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Forum' started by lenshoarder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    It was $380 at Best Buy, I couldn't pass it up. Actually, I passed it up 2 days ago but went back for it today. Today was the last day to get the price. Hopefully the long search for a worthy replacement for my trusty TX5 as my travel camera is over.

2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Woah - great price. Congrats on the score!

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    i haven't seen them discounted more than $50 anywhere.....not that I'm looking. Recently held one and was pretty knocked out by how little is......nice and dense, too. Feels substantial and the photos I see from it are amazing for the sensor size...enjoy your new camera!

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    That's a super price for a great camera. Welcome to the club.

5. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Nice deal you got there :)
    The more I play with it the more it impresses me.

6. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Man! If I could get one here for a good price I would! Can't believe the specials you guys get in the US!

Congrats on the new camera :)

7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    $380??? How did that happen?

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I said pretty pretty please. ;)

It was marked down to $542. I had a 30% off cameras Staples coupon. I asked if they would take it. They said yes. Ended up being $380 after the coupon. They had 2 when I stopped by the first time. Yesterday they were down to one. Now I kind of wish that I had bought both the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It figures... I spot this a day late. :frown:

10. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Congratulations. Great deal.

11. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I have played with this camera at the airport (shop) and I really liked it
    autofocus is really fast and the camera was very nice to operate

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I didn't get a chance to play with it until tonight. Here are my impressions.

1) It's too crazy slippery. I really wished sony had stuck with the finish for the TX5. It's super shiny but it sticks to my hand like glue. I've never even come close to dropping it. They switched to a very similar surface to the RX100 for the TX10. It's far too slippery. There's a wrist strap but I find those fairly useless. The whole point of a pocketable camera is to keep it in your pocket and whip it out quickly. Not take it out, put on the wrist strap and then take a shot. I'm ordering some egrips stickers.

2) It shoots too crazy fast. I tried it on continuous shot mode and I couldn't just take a single shot. I couldn't let go of the shutter fast enough.

3) For a 7 blade iris, it is really really circular. I admired it for minutes. Most 7 blade irises are flat sided. The RX100 aperature is circular from start to finish. I have a lens with 21 blades and the RX100's aperature gives up nothing to it. It's really impressive.

4) I really like this camera. I think I might just sell everything else off except for 1 NEX for MF lenses.

13. coyote

coyote SC Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    eastern oregon
    eric
    i'm thrilled to have such a great camera at full-bore retail. what a deal you got.

re: slippery - i added the factory leather "eveready" case which i find helps a lot in handling. another option is the $15 stick-on leather "skins" called Gariz LS-RX100BK Genuine Leather Camera Body Skin, that can be found on ebay.