1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I just sent the G1X MkII back -- here's why

Discussion in 'Canon Forum' started by Jock Elliott, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Snow visited Troy, NY overnight.

I tried a couple of grab shots in P mode with the G12 and the G1Z MkII

G12:

G12_snow_001_Medium_.JPG

G1X MkII

G1X_snow_001_Medium_.JPG

If you look closely at the G1X MkII picture, none of it appears to me to be razor sharp. Call me a lazy photographer, but it seems to me that in P mode at least part of the image ought to be precisely focused.

There are a lot of things to like about the G1X MkII, but it just doesn't fit with my opportunistic style of shooting.

Cheers, Jock

2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Something is wrong with that second shot... there's no way it should be that blurry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Aye. It almost looks like a fogged lens (from the temperature change)?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Jock,
    do you recall what focus mode you were using? And what you were focusing on?

It's fine if it doesn't fit your style of shooting. But it looks to me as though your focal plane is just much closer than your subject. If you're shooting reasonably wide open and focused at a couple feet (or less), everything beyond a few feet would be blurry.

Is it possible you were in macro mode where it couldn't focus on a distant subject? Or possibly in MF while you were testing it out? Or was it shot through a window and the camera grabbed focus on the window instead of the scene beyond? With a smaller sensored camera, you might not notice, but with that bigger sensor on the G1X mark whatever , one would need to be more careful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I agree, but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. It was at f/2, 24mm, 1/60, ISO 400.

The G12: f/2.8, 28mm, 1/30, ISO 500.

Both were handheld.

Cheers, Jock

6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Luke,

I was outside on the front porch. I just turned the camera on, clicked it into P mode, and shot the picture. It was in single focus mode (with the square in the center of the frame). I don't recall getting any error messages.

I suppose it could be some sort of operator error on my part, but I don't know what it could be.

Cheers, Jock

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    hmmmm....that is definitely a puzzler.

8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Indeed it is.

I just did an experiment with the G12. I put it in P mode, activated macro, and turned it off. When I turned it back on, I had to reactivate macro manually; it had shut off. The same thing happened with manual focus.

Another theory: perhaps shooting as much as I do with small-sensor cameras has "ruined" me. Perhaps there is something I should have done that I didn't do.

As a result, I am not willing to condemn the the G1X MkII. I think the best thing to say, in the absence of additional info, is that it isn't a good fit for me.

In any event, I very much appreciate your input and that of the others here.

Cheers, Jock

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just plugged some numbers into a DOF calculator. There is one foreground branch that appears to be very nearly in the center of the frame. If it's around 8 feet away with your settings, only 2 feet will actually be in focus.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Many early samples of the G1X ii that I've seen look soft wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    the bit of the roof in the top-right corner is in focus.
    Maybe the lens has been optimized for corner-sharpness ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    As soon as I was done laughing at Tilman's joke, I see that he is right. Not sure why the camera would have grabbed focus up there, but that would explain why the rest of the shot is soft.

13. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    That kind of shallow DOF in wide angle shot can only be achieved if camera has focused very close. As Tilman already noticed, the roof confirms it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    :biggrin:I think you are on to something. But I make no claims to being the founding father of the Corner Sharpness School of Photography. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    All I can say is that I wasn't trying to focus on the roof. I was doing what I normally do with the G12, and you can see the result.

Cheers, Jock

16. mattia

mattia SC Regular

Dec 20, 2013
    It's not soft, it's just out of focus. That's your responsibility to control, not the camera's, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    They look KIND OF soft and it's mostly a problem on very close focus shots - macros and near macros. They're nothing like this shot, which is just badly out of focus. For whatever reason, the combination of Jock and the camera just completely missed focus on this shot. The lens has it's weaknesses, but it's not even remotely THIS bad!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  18. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Is there a touch to focus option on G1XMk2? Maybe you touched the edge of the screen with your thumb?

• Like Like x 1
  19. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Got to say I kinda really like the rendering glowy/softness of the out-of-focus - ala most the image - area. Hmmm…got my eye on the used market. Thanks for sharing Jock

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Jock, can you see in the EXIF data of the image what focus mode the camera was set to?

Not sure if there's going to be any clue in the EXIF metadata, but if there was something like "focus mode - manual" or "macro" that could explain it?