1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I still think the XZ-1 is one of the best out there...

Discussion in 'Olympus Forum' started by kyteflyer, Oct 27, 2012.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    wow....I had no idea these were from the XZ-1. Maybe just 1 more camera then.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Very nice. I love the seagulls and their reflections. I recently picked up a second-hand XZ-1 (in white) for my wife. It feels like a very well put together camera, and the lens is great. She likes it too! $199 brand new for these in the US at the moment is a fantastic price for this camera as long as you're buying it to use it, not just because it seemed like a good deal.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Just do it, Luke. You won't regret it.

Absolutely agree, its a brilliant deal. I would take that in a heartbeat, rather than the XZ-2, when you look at what you get as opposed to what you spend.

I'm still on a mission to buy the VF-2 to go with it as well, big bright electronic viewfinder? a no-brainer.

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    love the castle made of sand!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Ah damn, if I'd known...I have one of these on eBay right now. I mean, it's still at a good price for a VF-2 (it does have a few marks on the silver finish) but without the eBay fees I probably would have sold it for $150 posted if you had been interested. This particular one actually came with the XZ-1 that I bought for my wife. I will say though that XZ-1 and the VF-2 isn't the greatest match-up in terms of size and appearance :)

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    LOL! No, its barking FUGLY. But its a gorgeous VF, and I want one. Looking at your ebay listing but I probably wont. The mission has to be suspended until after Christmas anyway, too many other bills and the pension doesnt really allow much leeway. Can we spell S.A.V.E. for everything? Slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Sue, you could always sell that GRD III to finance the VF2 purchase :wink: I'm sure there would be plenty of takers here on the forum and I don't think I've ever seen any shots from you using it, but I could be mistaken. You do have a lot of cameras. It's hard to find work for all of them.

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    NOOOOOOO!!! NOT THE GRD!!! anyway, the little latch thingy that holds the battery in place is broken and I can't get it fixed (not the battery door, the latch you release to take the battery out). I have the bottom of the battery taped, and after several attempts to close the door so it contacts properly, its fine. But it is a little offputting, so I dont use it as much. I still use it though :) Anyway, I like it too much to let it go, and I would not get sufficient to warrant a sale, IMO.

10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'll show these to my wife on Xmas day just to set some standards in place for her new camera.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Steve, sell her the camera you use the least and you can borrow it any time (and keep the cash "in house"). Or does she need a "new" one?

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Bear in mind also, all of these are actually crops from the original, mostly 1/3 or less... and they have been post processed from RAW for sharpening, and noise reduction, and PS levels were also used... just in case anyone is thinking these are sooc. They arent...

13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It will be interesting to see if she likes the XZ-1. It's a little bigger than she's used to.

14. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nice crisp photos Sue.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Bill. XZ-1 strikes again :)

16. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Love these!!!
    I quite agree, love my XZ-1 too much to give it up

• Like Like x 1
  17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    Those pictures are awesome. If you do have a JPEG SOOC version of one of them, would you mind posting it for comparison.

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I don't really want to go back to the jpgs of those shots. ACR saves the settings from one shot to the next, and I like to keep those, but heres one similar, taken just a few minutes later.

1) Original shot

Single Gull Original by kyte50, on Flickr

2) Cropped and Processed (Nike DFine2 for noise reduction - I like it best - other than that, just PS5 sharpen + levels).

8133882180_10af24835d_b.
    Single Gull Processed by kyte50, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for that. That shows the power of post processing. The processed image really pops.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili

Wonderful example of post processing, Sue

• Like Like x 1