I think maybe the designers and manufacturers of compact cameras are going a little wonky in the hea

I don't mind optional EVFs, because I like the idea of modular cameras. That's absolutely no problem for me. However, I really dislike incompatibilities even within the product range of a single manufacturer. Although I can accept that manufacturers want to earn money with the gear I am buying (and they really need to do that!) I dislike the obscenely high prices of some very important optional parts of some manufacturers.

True, true. The price does seem excessive.

I am also amazed how people can make photos in bright sunlight without viewfinder. Even a good EVF is basically useless to check exposure and focus when you wear glasses, like me. The X-T1 is reported to have one of the best EVFs but I have to shoot with one hand and use the other as a shield. So I have to choose between one-hand shooting and guessing in bright sunlight. I could have kept my x-pro but the OVF is useless for manual focus lenses.

Always thought it was just me, so I am glad I'm not the only one.

I am also amazed how people can make photos in bright sunlight without viewfinder. Even a good EVF is basically useless to check exposure and focus when you wear glasses, like me. The X-T1 is reported to have one of the best EVFs but I have to shoot with one hand and use the other as a shield. So I have to choose between one-hand shooting and guessing in bright sunlight. I could have kept my x-pro but the OVF is useless for manual focus lenses.

Always thought it was just me, so I am glad I'm not the only one.

I wear glasses, and I have never had a problem seeing the EVF (but not the rear screen) on my FZ150 or FZ200, regardless of the conditions, anymore than I would have a problem seeing through the pentaprism of an SLR or DSLR. I actually prefer looking though an EVF to looking through the prism and the glass of the lens because I am seeing what the sensor sees. Back in my days of shooting film with Pentaxes, it wasn't uncommon to be surprised by what the film was seeing as opposed to what saw through the SLR optical system.

I am not, BTW, insisting that everyone prefer the same method of composing the shot, but I don't see any way that a rear screen in bright sunlight can get the job done.

Cheers, Jock

I don't mind optional EVFs, because I like the idea of modular cameras. That's absolutely no problem for me. However, I really dislike incompatibilities even within the product range of a single manufacturer. Although I can accept that manufacturers want to earn money with the gear I am buying (and they really need to do that!) I dislike the obscenely high prices of some very important optional parts of some manufacturers.

Panasonic's policy of a new battery for each new camera body is is an excellent example of this.

As much as I prefer having a built in evf.. I am ok w/ using an ovf. I have enough brightline ovf's from different rf lens setups that that I have rarely needed to buy one these days. Compared to what I paid for these ovf in the past (some were included w/ the rf lens purchase), I also think these new prices are too high.

Gary

Back