Sony I tried zone focusing. It worked.

Tom K.

Regular
Name
Tom
I asked about zone focusing last week here and got some great advice on how to incorporate using it with my Sony RX100 in the following thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f105/zone-focusing-21092/

Well.....I went out tonight for a walk around Mystic CT and got the following photos using zone focusing exclusively: Mystic Connecticut - a set on Flickr

Any feedback or thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you all for your help with this. Zone focusing is something that I enjoy and it frees me up to work on getting the shot rather than worrying if autofocus will nail it. Zone seems much better for street work.

I was shooting between f/5.6 and f/8. Makes a HUGE difference. Post processing these took much less effort also. ISO 800 to 1600. That was about it. Focus in manual on my wife standing 6 feet away and shoot at f/8 means pretty much every thing was in focus. Kept my shutter speeds high too. If I don't do that I get blurry shots. I'm loving this zone focusing thing. Thanks to this forum and the fine members.....I am able to do it.

I'm loving this zone focusing thing. Thanks to this forum and the fine members.....I am able to do it.

Glad it worked out... as your shots demonstrate!:)

The EXIF information says that you're working in Auto Exposure mode - presumably you start by checking what shutter speed/aperture combination the ambient light is giving you, and then set ISO manually, to give the shutter/aperture combination that you actually want?

It worked.... What, you thought we were making all of that stuff UP??? :D

Looks like you're getting shots in good focus - hopefully you're not having to leave too many on the cutting room floor, but these certainly look fine. Have fun with it!

-Ray

Glad it worked out... as your shots demonstrate!:)

The EXIF information says that you're working in Auto Exposure mode - presumably you start by checking what shutter speed/aperture combination the ambient light is giving you, and then set ISO manually, to give the shutter/aperture combination that you actually want?

I was in aperture priority 100% of the time. Light conditions changed fairly quickly from bright sunlight to shade from buildings. I just adjusted the ISO accordingly.

are you copying the url at the top of flickr or the share code for the image?

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

From the Flickr FAQ: Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu on the photo, to the left of the More menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

It worked.... What, you thought we were making all of that stuff UP??? :D

Looks like you're getting shots in good focus - hopefully you're not having to leave too many on the cutting room floor, but these certainly look fine. Have fun with it!

-Ray

Everything was in focus. The only cutting room floor stuff was poorly composed and one wickedly motion blurred shot from me moving way too fast.

Very nice. Absolutely the best sensor in a the camera's category. If only the rest of the camera lived up to the sensor. As it is, its not bad, but for my preferences, they compromised too much to make it that small. But my wife has one and is very happy with it. Clearly a great camera for a lot of folks.

-Ray

From the Flickr FAQ: Where is the HTML code and photo file link?
i was just wondering why all your images are showing like this as opposed to everyone elses...

ehuvupa7.jpg

it's probably just on my side.

i was just wondering why all your images are showing like this as opposed to everyone elses...

ehuvupa7.jpg

it's probably just on my side.

I think I may have figured it out. On Flickr they give you a choice of HTML code to paste or BBCode. I used BBCode on some but the HTML code seems to work correctly.

Very nice. Absolutely the best sensor in a the camera's category. If only the rest of the camera lived up to the sensor. As it is, its not bad, but for my preferences, they compromised too much to make it that small. But my wife has one and is very happy with it. Clearly a great camera for a lot of folks.

-Ray

I really enjoy shooting 28mm. I have my eye on a Ricoh GR. If snap focus lives up to the billing then I'll be happy. I want as small as possible with as much quality as possible using 28mm. The GR and Nikon A seem to be it right now using those parameters.

I added a RX1 and would add the Sigma DP3 to finally complete my collection. I am as of now DSLR free. I would have ideally asked for the SONY RX100 to be like their IP58 camera body, plastic, rugged carry anywhere which would have been an ideal scenario instead of the aesthetically pleasing easily scratched metal. Luckily the IP58 SONY Xperia ZR has a good 13MP camera to substitute that for now for true carry anywhere photography.

Back